Push to Talk on Iridium system, new and intresting

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by DKR, Jan 2, 2019.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Icom (a ham radio company, amoug other things) and the folks over at Iridium have gotten together.
    [​IMG]
    News Release - Icom America

The Satellite PTT radio is a professional radio communications system using the Iridium satellite communication network. This system enables real-time, one-to-many communication throughout the world with only a push of a PTT (transmit) button. In addition, Iridium's unique interconnected satellite architecture ensures stable and reliable communication even if large-scale disasters occur on earth and terrestrial networks are compromised. Icom President Masataka Harima says, "Icom has been developing various wireless communications equipment for land use, marine use, and air band use. This Satellite PTT project will be a tough challenge, but the project will fill an important piece of our product lineups that cover all areas from the surface of the earth and even in to space. We continue to challenge ourselves."

Motomom34, techsar, Dont and 2 others like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Not much to go on yet... :
    US Market: This device has not been approved by the Federal Communications Commission. This device may not be sold or leased, or be offered for sale or lease, until approval of the FCC has been obtained.

oldman11 likes this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Sounds like the old Nextel system with the PTT . I heard that they quit using that system because the military was going to aquire that system . If it's the same system .

techsar likes this.
  4. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I know I could talk from Hawaii to USA with PTT without issue and talk with my bud overseas with whatsapp all the time

techsar and oldman11 like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

In testing now.

techsar and oldman11 like this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. JA40
  3. Tully Mars
  4. sdr
  5. ED GEiN
  6. Southbound
  7. hitchcock4