PV timer

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Cwmoore, May 20, 2019.

1. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Crude drawing of my well pump power and control. The pump is a Grundfos 6SQF-3. After five years of using this pump, don't think I'd ever use another. It's just too versatile. It runs on 90 to 250 VAC, or 30 to 300 VDC. When running on DC, polarity doesn't matter. Too many cloudy days for solar operation? Wheel a gen set over to it and run it on either 240 or 120 VAC. Not may products these days I would rate excellent, but this well pump is one.

Control circuit uses a dual float switch and an SCR.

Attached Files:

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you buy grid tie panels you don't have to run them at grid tie voltage if you use them off grid.

At those voltages you are limited to solid state or huge manual air gap contacts.

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Cwmoore

Cwmoore Totally off grid

For my 24v battery bank I have an outback 80 amp 150 volt charge controller, 6 parallel strings of 2 300 watt panels (total 12 panels) which is about 120 volts at about 7 amps per string.

My pump, I'm using the grundfos deep well pump that comes with an awesome controller that can auto detect what ever you throw at it AC or DC using the same wires. I have an on-off-on switch to switch between AC current (90-250) and DC current (30-300v). For this I'm using one string of 4 250 watt panels wired directly to the pump controller. I said earlier it's 290 volts but that was open volts. It's actually about 220 circuit volts. I just finished today. The set up works excellent.

For the timer I've decided to use the solid state relay Altoid recommended with a 24 volt timer. I was having trouble finding what I needed because I was calling it a solonoid instead of a relay (brain fart). I would consider using a float system but the water tank is too far away to run wire. Ill let everyone know how the timer works.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Cruisin Sloth and techsar like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@Cwmoore
    Good to hear , PLEASE post pump number and the depth of well etc.
    Im into to this RIGHT now since my pump died , no warranty after 30 years ;)

@Altoidfishfins
    Id love to see your diagram and in type , I can't read your accent
    Sloth

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. Cwmoore

Cwmoore Totally off grid

Grundfos 6SQF-2

325 ft well

Attached Files:

6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

@Altoidfishfins @Cruisin Sloth

transcribed by Lucy and trunk monkey

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@sec_monkey @Cruisin Sloth

CS - The well depth is 750 feet, but the pump is set at 580 feet.
    The pump is a Grundfos 6SQF3, capable of pumping between 4 and 5 GPM at 820 feet of head. It is a low flow well, only about .5 GPM (Mohave Desert!), which necessitates water storage. Static level is about 60 feet, so there is also some storage in the well itself, (580 - 60 = 520 feet x approx 1.5 gallon per foot).

Thank you Lucy and TM!

Couple of corrections (my writing isn't the neatest)

"Grundfos 68QF3" should be "Grundfos 6SQF3"

And "As the tank fills, float switch 2 turns off the ... voltage to the SCR" should be
    "As the tank fills, float switch 2 turns off the gate (trigger) voltage to the SCR".

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Cruisin Sloth and sec_monkey like this.
  8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

GENTS , working on it ..
    I''ll let you know the info and the result ,,,

WIP
    S

Altoidfishfins and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7