Pvp air guns

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Bishop, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

.17HR or .17HMR?

I've been thinking about re-barreling an old friend in 25-06 AI or Ackley Improved. I've shot the 25-06 from a variety of rifles and liked it.

Any 7mm is an excellent choice. Folks used to say the 7R mag as flat as the .270's 130gr and hits like the '06's 180gr. IMO, the 7-08 offers everything the average hunter needs and for reloaders, it uses a lot less powder.

The 6.8SPC is also interesting
    Almost as accurate as the 6.5 and almost as destructive as the 7mm, says quite a lot. The 6.8SPC has prompted a lot of debate, both pro and con with hunters and shooters.
    As the 6.8SPC was developed by Remington Arms in collaboration with members of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, United States Special Operations Command it has quite a pedigree.

chelloveck, BTPost and kellory like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

80 yard shot today on a crow had it on the two mildot did not know what hit him.

KIMG0317.

3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I dropped 3 squirrels yesterday at about 100-120'; head or throat shots. They approach the rubber feeder pan and raise their head to look inside and pop.
    Wounded 2 more; one of the wounded left a 6-7" blood pool. The other refused to give me the shot; so I took what he offered. They eat too much of the corn we put out for the deer. Crows are next as they are in the same category.
    You understand the dots? Not many do understand the dots. Or worse think they do, I am teaching my lovely lady to use them.
    She has a range card she created for the springer pellet rifle. Doping the wind is the most challenging part. Pellets are affected more by the wind than CF rounds; so it is good for her to learn.

4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Oh yeah I know what you mean one of the boys that play ball for me got a new 308 and his scope has mil dot and he thinks that each one is a 100 yards and wants to shoot gun for gun at 500 I keep telling him he don't want to do that.

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

One way or the other, he'll learn :D If it is a variable power scope; unless it is first or second focal plane, the dots are not true at all powers.
    As they don't know how to use the dots; I don't know why people buy them.

Have you asked him what the horizontal dots are for?? :rolleyes:

You'll enjoy this: The Truth About Mil Dots

6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

No I think he thinks he has bdc scope I was going to let him learn the hard way.

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I think he doesn't think.. :rolleyes:

:):):)

8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Dang you must know kit.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I've met many of his twins.

Planning on asking him what the horizontal dots are for??:rolleyes:

;)

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

W hat did the OEM say the distance between the Dots, was supposed to be?

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Center to center is 1 mil for Army or Maine issue. The Army uses dots, the Marines use ovals. A more important difference it the Army's mil = 3.375 MOA and the Marine's equal 3.438 MOA.

Also, the space between the OD of the dots is .8 mil and the spacing between the Marine is .75 mil or it's quite different at long ranges.
    Most civilian mil dot scopes dots are Army type. I'll avoid the trans sonic effect or when a projectile' speed goes from super sonic to sub sonic; there is an oscillation or vibration which affects the projectile's LOF or line of flight.
    As usual, there are many opinions which is better. IMHO, the answer depends on which a shooter or sniper was trained to use or a civilian learned to use.
    Unless it is first or second plane focal; what the dots mean varies. Most 3rd focal plane optics I've seen\; the mil dots are only true at the highest magnification.
    If the dots are etched on the scope's first or second focal plane; they are correct at all magnifications. I own both 1st and 3rd focal plane. With the 3rd FP. I simply turn the scope to the highest power.
    She says the 1st FP is distracting as the spacing between the dots changes as the magnification changes. Or the dots are correct at any magnification. In the past most military sniper scopes were fixed power, typically 10X fixed, so the distance between the dots is always correct.

Bruce, as it is a rather deep subject; I hope my short form was of help.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Tikka I am learning to shoot my AR10 with a Burris Eliminator III Optics... The BDC Computer & Laser Rangefinder are built in to the Optics... The Horozontal Dots are for windage Calcs, so I am slowly getting a handle on those, while smacking my 18" Gong, & 998 Yards.... Most of My practice is on DEAD calm Days, but I am slowly working up to west to east, and east to west, 10knot winds.... I have the Custom Loading for the 24" Stainless Barrel, down Pat, using Hornady 150Gr SST Projectiles.... And a Second Loading for the Nossler 168Gr Spitzer Projectile... Getting those done, took about 300 Rounds each, using a single 8# Lot of Herculese 4895, of which I still have about 6# left.... I only have about a month left, to play with this as the Cannery Crew shows up in May....

tacmotusn and VisuTrac like this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@BTPost
    Dead calm and overcast (increases contrast) is the best for accuracy.

At around 1000 there is some of the Coriollis effects kick in. It is a but deep to explain without writing a book. Basically, the earth is rotating and because the bullet is flying the earth's rotation affects the POI.
    Long Range Shooting: External Ballistics - The Coriolis Effect | The Arms Guide

Is the Burris 1st, 2nd, or 3rd focal plane? If it is 3rd the manual will tell at what magnification the dots are spaced correctly. An easy way to tell FFP is the spacing between the dots changes as the magnification changes. It's an odd effect to get used to and a lot of people dislike it. As I own FFP and 3rd FP; I'm not sure about 2nd FP.

The horizontal are for windage. "Doping" the wind is more challenging than using the dots. The way I teach is watch the trees and check the anemometer. Judging by your pictures; watch the waves and check the anemometer. ;)
    Remember, near wind affects bullet flight more than far winds. 6 MPH at 50 yards will affect the flight to impact more than 6 MPH at 850 yards.

When you need more bullets, try Sierras also. I've had good success with their 168 BTHP in .308 and 300win.

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I got a little too deep in the above. ;)

@Bishop
    I received this in my email, way too expensive, but serious kick butt for a PCP rifle...
    "Knockdown ability with the Rex is awesome as the .22 caliber version offers 44 foot pounds of energy (FPE), and the .25 cal delivers 50 FPE. If you choose the .357 caliber Rex, you'll enjoy a whopping 153 FPE. More than enough to take the game of your choosing."
    Evanix Rex Air Rifle. Air guns - PyramydAir.com

15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@Tikka
    Just say it , holding back or not posting correct info , only makes ALL learn the wrong terms .
    My clips are all good .
    Go deep

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Cruisin Sloth
    Lost me on not posting correct info.

Bishop likes PCP. I have a springer. Although I bought and enjoy it; at today's price, I wouldn't have bought it.

17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Always correct incorrect sayings and what the MSM lip services Plz.
    Thats all , I get the snub a few times on RE power , but !!! I do have fancy cards !

No Worries Mate .Enjoy the info & read

1. tedrow42
  2. HK_User
  3. Kathy in WV
  4. fortunateson
  5. ricdoug
  6. ricdoug
  7. ricdoug
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7