Quality verses Quanity

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Oddcaliber, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. duane

duane Monkey+++

Quality-quantity vs habit-function. I have several knives,lowest level ones are advertising throwaways and box cutter , highest level ones were over $100, a lot of money to me. I have a Stihl about 4 in folding knife on my key chain that was given to me when I bought 3 loops for my Stihl chain saw, a knife in my Leatherman type tool, and a Stanley retractable blade box cutter on a sheath on my belt. The only problem I have had with the box cutters is that after about 10 years the finish wears off most of the knife. Repairing power tools, working in the greenhouse, working around the place in personal construction and maintenance, I find that 90 % of the time I end up using the box cutter and just buying the replacement blades by the 100's. You are removing a ball bearing shield to re grease it and may break the tip, yes I am that old and have the right greases to do it , big deal, use the other side or replace the blade, need to cut tomato support string, or greenhouse plastic, or open a bag of fertilizer, or open a box, strip electrical wire, cut plastic tubing, or cut down a box or plastic pot, cut a gasket to size or trim the flash, or remove the plastic tape from a cord, etc, pull the box cutter out of the belt holster and go. I also use the simple non retractable box cutters as you can dunk them in bleach or other disinfectant when you need to, and take them apart, dry them, and lightly oil them at the end of the day, in the greenhouse to prevent spreading blights. The Stihl is always with me on the key chain and is used daily for the dozens of things that always seem to come up in my life. The knife on the Leatherman isn't optimal, but sure is handy when you are under a car, on a ladder, out in a field, etc. In the house for cooking I have perhaps a dozen good knives, but I have one paring , one chef's style, and one old high carbon butcher knife, that I use 95 % of the time. I have a good skinning knife for hunting and butchering knives and saws that I would not want to give up, but I haven't used them yet this year. I have good belt knives, Buck and others, that I sometimes carry, but I haven't honestly used them in years.

Then there are the firearms, have way to many or not enough, depends on the day and the budget, but other than practice, I find that I do all of my hunting with either a 100 year old Springfield 06, a 70 year old 22 semi auto, or a close to 60 year old pump 12 ga, and my every day, or month if the truth be told, carry is an old Colt 38 Trooper pistol that I bought used in the 1970's, a Mark III, in 357-38, that was state of the art at the time. The finish is well worn from holster and cleaning and truth being told, 95 % of the bullets shot from it have been plastic ones shot in the basement or 38 special and it is often carried with either plastic bullets or rat shot around the yard. In the same sense, 90 % of the shooting I now do is with an air rifle, too many close neighbors to shoot even 22's anymore. I have Ruger, Sieg, 45's etc in semi auto, but other than range, I almost never carry or shoot them.

If I had to "defend the home place" would I select any of the above, no, I would carry my 9 mm 226 pistol, an Ar 15 in 223 or 300 Blackout, or an Ak308. In my almost 80 years, I have never needed to defend the place, but shot my last woodchuck in the garden 3 weeks ago with a 22 and it is deer season now and if I go it will be either with the "modern" bolt action Springfield or a muzzle loader that although it is 20 years old, is a copy of a 150 year old Sharps.

My long run plan, which God be praised, I have not had to use yet, was always based on the Springfield 06, hand cast lead bullets, and a Lee hand loader and bullet mold and I have tried to keep enough wheel weights, primers, and 4895 for at least a 5,000 rounds. The powder is the limiting factor as at full loads you only get about 150 per pound and even 8 pound cans don't go far. I also like to keep at least 10,000 or so 22's and a few hundred 12 ga and reloads for a couple thousand more and buck and slugs for reloading. The bags of wads are the limit there. The same can be said for the 38 as it will shoot lead cast bullets and reloads well, just different powder and primers.

Guess in my mind quantity vs quality comes down to long term practicably and habit dominating the choices I make. In some senses I have always been a drug store cowboy with the toys, guns, knives, saws, axes, tools, for survival, but find a few old friends that fill all of my needs now, and I think would do well after the immediate shakeout of a SHTF event. If I were a logger, fisherman, firefighter, bush pilot, etc, I know I would have a different set of favorites, but I would be willing to bet that there would be a few that you end up using all the time.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Oddcaliber and oldawg like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. GOG
  3. JLRhiner
  4. Hanzo
  5. Hanzo
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. STGThndr
  8. Bandit99