Question about 100w solar panel for small devices

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by juntjoo, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@juntjoo The SEAL Motto, comes to mind... "Two is One, and One in None...." You ALWAYS Need, at least, two ways to do ANYTHING... Primary and BackUp.... and you misread what I wrote.... I said....
    My system is NOT the above, but if that was what I was "Given" that is what I would do... MY System is considerable more diverse, and significantly BIGGER, than what I wrote

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Mine is a 12 volt system using paired 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries .
    Building I provided for more space than I have equipment at the time, so there is plenty of room for growth. Every component is on it's own switch; to meters, to system, and off line.
    There are more common things that run on 12 volt than the higher voltages you'd have to buy more equipment to make compensations for. Including refrigerators .
    RVs have refrigerators that run on AC110/, DC 12 volt, and propane. all in one unit.
    Many people in RVs have a load of solar on the roof and a battery bank down below , along with a generator for the air-conditioning .
    The ability to change off the resource is valuable if things get tight or changes in travel to weather conditions.
    Some have 2 air-conditioning units , takes a lot of amps. ( MY fifth wheel has 2)
    IMO, If your going to have 2 air conditioners ,one should be a gas driven one and save the wear and tear on the generator.
    Other utilities are your washing machine and dryer and forced air heating .

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

100 watt solar panel was the thread .
    9000 BTU mini split needs a 3000 watts of panel for sure @ 60* lat N & S

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have a 9000btu inverter split.
    It's only cooling a bedroom and typically draws 2 to 2.5 amps of 240v single phase.
    So if you have a split like mine yeah 3kw of panel should support it.

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Well It depends on temp your in & how high as with latitude.

Mine is @ lat60 ,300' above datum & 25-30c max when needed
    Sloth

6. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Back to OP. As you can see there are many opinions and ideas. When I started thinking about solar, it quickly became over whelming with all the info. So I purchased a HF 45 watt unit and started sorting the facts from the BS. It is a great learning tool and you can actually do more with it than you think. I have movef on with other panels and such, but my so-called HF Krap is still on my barn charging batteries, running back-up lights, small hf inverter, water pump for the greenhouse, and what ever else I can come up with. In short it really is a great learning tool.
    Gafarmboy
    If you can not protect what you own, it never was yours.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

With out line meters you can't know what your getting.
    Unlike a generator , solar depends on it's exposure to the sun and it's proximity in the sky. morning and after noon light are weak even using an articulator to track the sun .
    Cloud cover and haze and chem trails block suns light, reducing out put . in the event of a volcanic eruption solar will be all but useless for a while . that's why I have wind mill as well.
    I have other solar panels set aside in the event it becomes necessary to include them.
    Back up systems are essential in a survival strategy.
    Later , if my finances hold I hope to get more batteries and store them. store their acid in glass bottles and dry them out for future use .

1. T. Riley
  2. Prepper12
  3. Oddcaliber
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid