Question about Camp Carbines

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gafarmboy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Sweet but expensive

Thanks for the tip. Man that has a lot of OH,Ah...factor. However there is a big difference between $300.00 and $600.00 for a poor farm boy.

Gafarmboy

2. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

to be fair that's their per sales asking price... MSRP if you would...

look at my Ruger P944 as an example... the Ruger web site MSRP is is $625.... but real world retail is more like $430 ish... I gave even less for mine...

two worlds what they would like to have and what people are willing to pay... that's marketing baby...

so it's to soon to say what real world price will be for the CT G2... my guess is less than...

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have a minor issue with trying to use a non magnum pistol round as a carbine round... I realise that the barrel length will improve the rounds ballastics slightly but question the need for a 9mm or .45 cal short range weapon when you can pick up a .223 or .30 carbine...

If it's only to share ammo between guns and get to better weapons thats one thing but i think i would rather have a magnum cal hand gun and a .22 than a 9mm side arm and carbine...

YMMV

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

WD makes a valid point. Added barrel length "MAY" do two things:
    1. Give better accuracy, at distance, due to better spin stabilization.
    2. Allow for higher Burn Pressures, and higher Muzzle Velocity.

The first will happen no matter what the loading and powder used.

The second depends on Powder used in the loading, which also may preclude
    the use of the same loading in both Pistol and Carbine. If you start loading with a slower burning powder, to get the added velocity, that a longer barrel will give, you give up using that loading in a pistol, due to the powder not completely burning before the projectile leaves the barrel, and creating a significant Muzzle Flash. Where if you keep the Fast Burning Powder Pistol Loading in the Carbine, you do not get the added advantage of a slower burning Powder in a longer barrel, and you actually lower the Muzzle Velocity, due to friction losses, in the longer barrel. Much better to keep the loadings tailored to a single weapon. ..... YMMV.....

5. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

The Reason for the OP

What I am trying to blend together is the idea of one caliber and two weapons. In a perfect world I would have a Ma Duce mounted on an Abrams. No problems. What I am trying to have is a lighter BOB arrangement. I always carry the .45 sidearm everywhere I go, plus carry an additional 100 rounds in the truck. My Traveling out of town combo is the .45 and the 7.62X39 with 120 rounds extra in the truck. That is a heavy load to run with. Heck, it is a heavy load just to walk 5 miles with. So I was just thinking about leaveing Uncle Kalashnikov at home and just carrying the sidearm and the camp rifle to save on weight.
    I understand that there are better combo of weapons. Albeit mostly a matter of personal taste. But I thought that it would be a good combo.

Gafarmboy

6. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

The wife loves hers and just like A-Dog she uses a red dot with laser under neath for the close stuff !! Ya can't beat it for close work !!

7. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Why does everybody forget the most prolific (formerly submachine gun) design ever made when talking about pistol caliber carbines?

UZI, baby!

You can convert between calibers by just swapping barrels (for 9mm to .40 S&W) or swapping barrels and the bolt for .45 ACP. There are guys running .357 Sig with a 16 inch barrel getting nearly 1800 FPS with 125gr bullets!

Uzis are rugged, battle proven, and available in semi-auto by several manufacturers. Century arms makes the latest incarnation of the UZI model B, it actually works, and it is much cheaper than a used IMI manufactured model. Sometimes a Norinco made UZI pops up at a gun show now and then, and they should not be more than $500.

Yes, they are heavy, but they are accurate and reliable. Magazines are inexpensive at this time (except for .45ACP- they are ridiculusly expensive). The magazines may be heavier than an AR magazine, but you can fit two 32 round magaines in an single AR mag pouch- 64 rounds.

I love my UZI. Although I cannot envision a practical use for it that could not be done more effeciently with an AR, I would not feel hindered if it were the only weapon I had.

8. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Well if your looking for a Mag combo... then your talking about the .44 mag
    Walk away from the Degles... (desert eagles).. there all crap... Ask anyone who's ever owned one...and over priced... get you a good DA revolver like a S&W model 29 or better yet an old Dan Wesson large frame... I've seen both revolvers offered under $300 at various gun shows... for your carbine try to find an old Ruger deerstalker... I still have one at the house, great little gun, almost looks like a 10/22, until you get up close

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7