question for the people here - solar and wind power vs load

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by hank2222, Jun 20, 2011.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There are 7 ways to elevate water. ( there are more but I won't get into that,)
    1 you can carry water up the hill.
    2 a water mill driving a pump,
    3 an engine driving a pump,
    4 an electric motor driving a pump,
    5 a windmill driving a pump,
    6 or a windmill generator driving an electric pump
    7. or a ram pump.
    All but the ram pump require an external power source ;wind, solar, grid, and fuel.
    Depending on how high the water has to be lifted, and the volume you need, is the critical issue.
    Every transition has losses and working with water there is abrasion/wear, accept it own it.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

#8 - install rainwater catchment at the higher elevation. No further elevation needed!

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

# 9. Atmospheric condensing uint.

4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Great discussion folks, thanks. One thing I've found is in these discussions few folks talk about procuring a "Kill-a-Watt". I've had one for years. Great for figuring out exact amps/watts an appliance draws, and I think I paid $12 on sale for mine. You can really do an assessment on your power needs so you can plan well.

I bit the bullet and actually bought a 4000 watt/5000 watt peak inverter for my solar set up.

OBTW, if you want to take some good on-line courses, or in person to just learn more about solar, here is one source I use. Course Offerings | Midwest Renewable Energy Association They can teach you about load planning, and such. OBTW, if you are a Vet, they run a free introductory course on Vet's day.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A site search will show several references to using KillAWatt meters. Also have one here that has seen some use, another story entirely, but I got a reduction in a bill by proving they had an "error" in billing.

Navyair likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Buy one off ebay.

1. Prepper12
  2. Yad Tsalach
  3. Big Ron
  4. Ganado
  5. Navyair
  6. ED GEiN
  7. GrayGhost
  8. Hillbilly549