Question regarding inverter generators

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

So, my two EU20i Honda Inverter Generators have arrived in Phnom Penh. I am scheduled to go pick them up early next week.

The Honda dealer does not stock the parallel / sync cable to run them together. (No surprise there, in a Third World country.) So, IF I can find one, can anyone answer me one question.

Once I connect that cable to both EU20i generators and start them, does that mean full power from both units is available from either generator? I just know very little about these things. These two generators will also be the first of their kind I have ever owned.

Thanks in advance.

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Full power will still require a cord to each. The parallel cable is to sync the sine wave so both are in phase with each other.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

That is what the manual says, not exceed 4.0kva for 30 min. or 3.2kva continuos duty. The parallel kit has a 30 amp outlet, or if one of you units is the EU2000i Companion, it already has the outlet.
    If they are both plain units, you'll need the kit, rather than just the parallel cable.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. Asia-Off-Grid

Thanks to you both. I did not realize this. I will see if I can source one of these.

5. Asia-Off-Grid

A thought. Considering they are synced at that point, could I run one cord from one power point on each generator, to two generator plugs on the wall of the house?

6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The schematic in the manual didn't show the sync cable diagram...without knowing 100% for certain, I'll err on the side of caution and say "no." I'd really hate to see that kind of investment let the magic smoke out...

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Agree. A perfect match between the two service cords is essentially impossible. There will be reactive loading that will toast something.

8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Paul

Your to sync 50Hz , and stay in the 1500watts are a major load to keep them in a safe zone
    Banana plugs & start one before the second with the plugs installed so the second will sync in to the first.
    Sloth

Asia-Off-Grid and duane like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Asia-Off-Grid and Mindgrinder like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

These Units use Internal Sync digital pairing , We are NOT syncing in a DAM power turbine unit (that has taken me 2 min's plus ) ..
    Use the best connections & good size wire . Never / NEVER change output from the units with the cables you plug in.
    As with the Videos , start in Sync , BUT do not shut off one unit while in production . Stopp all loads with a breaker box or Switch , then Unloaded output , shut off whats NOT needed in gensets & then when the unit is off , get the running unit to pick up the load .

There is No Master or "0" Droop unit..

Did this for 10 years plus , Sync & pickup loads.

Sloth

HTH's

11. Asia-Off-Grid

Well, I may not be able to locate one of those cables here, anyway. I may have to have it sent from the US, the UK, or Australia.
    Thanks to all for your assistance in this.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  13. Asia-Off-Grid

14. Cruisin Sloth

@Asia-Off-Grid
    You might not find a cable in USA for a 220 50hz system & the plugs are totally different. DID you see the one gent without the cables they use the 3 wires as the power cords , NO 14 Gauge banana plugs interconnect. .
    Watch the Videos well & again ..
    You are to make a connecting cable that will pair the units. As you make them , Build a panel box to switch powers also. Only stuff from USA is wire & fittings that you have there.
    And I don't feel shutting off one genset while on line is good because it will case a eddy load to the running one & could damage the electronics . remove load ,( If a freezer let it run its cycle) then shut off .
    Sloth

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  15. Asia-Off-Grid

@Cruisin Sloth, it isn't too big of a deal, really. I can use them separately, if necessary. I don't have to run high amp draw appliances during power cuts. They usually don't last that long.

16. Cruisin Sloth

No But if you can create a wire & panel system , You would be ahead of the game. I do NOT see you needing any syncing cable if you follow # 1 video & follow he is using the plug as the sync cable , they are the same pots.

1. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. STANGF150
  4. martha_mill
  5. DKR
  6. BailyTheFox
  7. techsar
  8. SurvivalJester
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Benjamin A. Wood
  11. Benjamin A. Wood
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid