Quick question about off grid in TN

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BailyTheFox, Dec 30, 2018.

1. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Hello all long time no see :) I just had a quick question about what the rules in Tennessee are regarding being off the electrical grid. My fiance and I (getting married late next summer) are both interested in the possibility of having solar panels and a little wind turbine on our future (still far future lol) property when we move to TN. I know some states have bullshit laws that make it basically impossible (like FL) but I'm not sure if TN is much the same.

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hey kiddo, long time no see! I dont know about the State, I would check the local counties your looking at, some times it's a county reg, not a state!

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Concentrate on getting solar panels, forget about wind unless you have a really great wind location to put up a wind turbine.
    I have an associates degree in wind power generation. I would know if the money for a wind turbine would be better spent on solar panels.

If TN is AEP they might have some stupid rules against going off grid.

What are you doing, what all are you trying to power?
    Be prepared to get a gasoline powered generator rig, a serious one not harbor freight junk. My next generator will probably be a diesel powered construction site flood light set.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Hey Baily!! Nice to see you again.. @TnAndy is the resident Monkey for that area and he would probably fill you in about Tennessee regulations..

5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

No regulations I know of require you have power, assuming you stay out of the cities. I did an off grid site install for a buddy. Very top of a ridge, and even he didn't have a good wind site, so as Oil Pan said, concentrate on solar.

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Congrats kid. That's the kind of news you come back with after a long absence. Hope y'all have a good go of it.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@BailyTheFox you are getting married? congratulations, wonderful news. I agree with the others, focus on solar. Unless you live in a windy place like Wyoming, you could not count on wind as a source of energy.

8. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

we would be powering our house, and possibly a small barn. I plan on having a good generator like what my parents have at their new lake house (they escaped NY and moved to TN). Their generator automatically turns on when the power goes out and I think can power the whole house (i imagine it costs more than I've made in my life thus far). Also what does AEP stand for?

cool, I'll focus on solar then.

Yeah, unless I'm on a tall ridge I doubt a turbine would make sense.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  9. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

AEP = Appalachian Electric Power. The only supply a very small area in northeast TN, they are mostly in VA......rest of the State is TVA.....Tennessee Valley Authority.

Thunder5Ranch and Cruisin Sloth like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7