1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Quick Survey of Bowhunters

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by 45acpJHP, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 45acpJHP

45acpJHP Monkey+

2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'm a wannabe bowhunter. Got a compound bow for free at a yard sale, but it needs to be restrung and I got no idea how to do that. My mother took archery in high school and loved it.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Occasionally saw deer over a broadhead in days gone by, but can't draw a bow since the shoulder surgery. Not missed, wasn't all that successful a hunter.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have been known to draw a bow or two...
  5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Have several bows compound and rtecurve and can't draw one of them today! It's NOT the age, it's those miles!
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Always buy a stamp and spend weeks ahead of season practicing but never seem to find the time to actually hunt any more. I keep my skills sharp and keep my gear up. It seems like bow season always falls right in the busiest time for USPSA matches.
  7. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Used to shoot archery in high school and am getting back into it currently. looking at picking up new compound for deer,antelope, and Elk, maybe moose if i ever get lucky enough to go to macmillan river.
  8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I have been bow hunting for 30 years I hunt all big game in the North west
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Bow Hunter here. Never seem to have deer in range when i have the bow. but, i have been known to kill : opossums, raccoons woodchucks rabbits and skunks and a tremendous amount of hay bales and cardboard.

I'll advise against shooting skunks with a bow. Side of barn still smells of skunk when it rains.
  10. Rex Lee

Rex Lee Monkey+

Former bowhunter....I bowhunted for about 15 years, then kind of lost interest in it. Still have my gear, but thinking about going back to a recurve and doing the primitive thing.
  11. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

Right here, love spending time out with the bow! Took my first deer with a bow as a matter of fact.
  12. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm an addicted bow hunter as well.
  13. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I guess you could call it hunting. It's more like stalking within 100 yds of deer and watching the whitetails flag as bound away from me. Of course, I am in AZ and bow hunting in my particular are is extremely hard unless you climb to about 7,000 feet or hang out at the right place along the river.

But... I try. ;)
  14. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I don't plan on hunting any elephants. I wasted 20 seconds of my life reading the last post.
  15. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

16. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

You are about 2 posts away from being sent away. Change your tone or you'll be gone.
    I've been gone a few days and can't believe we've put up with you crapping all over the forum for this long.
  17. 45acpJHP

45acpJHP Monkey+

18. 45acpJHP

45acpJHP Monkey+

19. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Not always, but when they are not contributing anything but rubbish, yes.
  20. enough

enough Monkey++

I've bowhunted since I was 12, now 35. I live in MI, and with whitetail being the main big game, I've hunted them every way that is legal.

Over the years, I've found that I prefer bowhunting, to firearm hunting, for deer. There are several reasons. First, I see a lot more deer. They are in different feeding and mating patterns, and that leads to groups, and far less nocturnal patterns.

Second, I prefer the weather. While I love winter, I love sitting in my treestand during a nice fall day with just a single layer on!

Third, I prefer the challenge. Under current circumstances, I am virtually guaranteed as much venison as I need. Rifle hunting has become more of an act of dispatching the animal. Bow hunting still challenges me. Now, deer "camp" for rifle season is a different thing. I prefer rifle camp to bow camp. Its like a family reunion! :)

Good luck with your new hobby. Its a great skill to have, and can provide great recreation. I'm thinking about switching to a recurve for next season. I picked up a small, packable recurve on sale this season.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary