Quig's Primal Journey

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Quigley_Sharps, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Well add me to the club.

I started Sept 1st and as of today I have lost 50lbs.

I wrote the above Sept 1st 2013

Then I awoke one morning and found a Melbo had made a post on a forum about starting Mark Sisson's Primal Blue Print and his journey to healthy life style.( found here Going Primal - My 90 Day Journey to Health | Survival Monkey Forums). I have to tell you I was amazed at the changes in him I have know him for more than 10 years. This was all I needed to start investigating it for myself as I know this guy and I know it’s true change. When I spoke to him and indicated I stop consuming grains he said well you are half way there to a perfect diet.... Look at my blog on the Primal Blue Print. I did and decided I was going to do this.

What he told me :

So here goes my first moves toward the PBP life style.

I placed an order for 4 books from here Primal Blueprint. They have forums you can read about it.

· 1 x The Primal Blueprint Cookbook

· 1 x Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Meals

· 1 x The Primal Blueprint: Updated and Expanded (Paperback Edition)

· 1 x Primal Blueprint Healthy Sauces, Dressings & Toppings

I then spoke to My wife and my daughter about this new way of life and asked them to join me. I have to tell you I thought I would have some resistance from each of them in different ways and areas. To my amazement they both read over the sample materials and committed to joining me !!

I then said every thing in the house that isn't primal needs to go as not to provide a not needed temptation. I knew our bodies were going to go nuts at no carbs and sugars. So we loaded up seven big boxes of food etc and gave it away. We then went to a local SDA store and replaced all of our missing cupboard's space with Primal foods.

Our meats started from Safeway for starters and ended up at Oregon Natural Grass-Fed Beef | Four Pines Ranch located at Baker City Or. Its important to find grass fed all natural meat products.

You have to get fat adapted meaning that it uses fat for energy instead of sugars. We ate a lot of Bacon, burger patty's and steak with fresh Veggies all cooked in butter or Bacon grease. Then in a few days we both came down with flu like feelings and I think it was our body craving crabs, it wouldn't go away until I cooked a steak with butter, 3 bites into it then feeling and nagging pain went away. Its really crazy my stomach doesn’t growl for food like it used to, instead it gives me a very slight funny feeling once or twice then goes away.

Sunday, September 8th, 2013

Ok my books arrived and we have been eating primal for a week now and I have to tell you I feel great all of my bloating is gone and I am sleeping peacefully and waking refreshed. I waited a week to start my workout and decided to modify temporarily to accommodate my over weight and sedentary life style I have been in and work up to a good work out over a couple of weeks. I started out with just walking my min I walk is 1.5 miles a day in the evening with my Wife and dog. I have lost 10 lbs.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

I'm 13 lbs down weighing in at 274 and have started to ramp up my work out.

I do push ups, sit ups squats in the morning and use my bow flex latt bar @ 100lbs until I can do a chin up. I started out do 10 reps 2 sets each. I have upped that by the end of the week as it gets easier.its more important to keep moving than really working out hard.

We started our sprints on Saturday in the morning with a evening walk.

The other book a person will want it the fitness book by Mark and it can be found on his web site :Primal Blueprint Fitness | Mark's Daily Apple

Go to Primal Blueprint and Subscribe to his weekly newsletter provided by his blog, Mark's Daily Apple. And Marks daily apple is here Mark's Daily Apple You will find a link to the Fitness book and videos.

My wife still tries to eat more veggies then anything else with her meals she is having a hard time eating the fat. But I'm working with her and she is accepting it slowly. WE use coconut oil for cooking. ( She has 10 years in nutrition and has a degree in health Sciences. She discovered we have been lied to about a healthy diet as an American society . High fat vs Low fat and the grains.

I found a great I-Phone app called Shop Well you can set settings for avoiding what you want in the settings section then scan bar codes on food and it will alert you to your settings, been a life saver..

Meals have been Bacon and eggs mornings, Hamburger patty's with bacon and a bed of lettuce, tomato's and onions. And some sort of Steak in the evening for now. Lunch is usually Hard Boiled eggs, some veggies and some thin sliced meat and some nuts.

Monday, September 23, 2013 - 4:40 PM

Down 20lbs ramping up my upper body workout a bit. Working on lat pulls and triceps.

Going to start planking in the place of sit ups due to an old back injury.

Oct 27-13

Its been a while since adding to this, but I'm down 30lbs and eating as much as I want. I have ramped up my work outs to walking 3 miles in the evenings and doing my Monday and Wednesday strength workout, 50 push ups, 50 reps 130lbs lat pulls on the bowflex. followed by 50 reps of 50lbs triceps pulls.

I have changed up sit ups for planking now that I have lost a few lbs it is doable now.I plank for 45 sec in 3 15 min reps for now.

My Sunday walking progress:

Nov 6

Im down 36 lbs, I have stepped up my work out to walking a quarter mile then run a quarter mile over a 2 mile walk and then finish out whats ever left of the 45 mins walking. I have been doing my weight training on Mondays and on Wednesdays. Ramped it up a bit doing 60 push ups, toe and elbow plank 60 sec and left and right side plank on elbows for 60 sec. Bowflex : 50 lat pulls 50lbs each arm, 50 chest flys, 50 bench presses and 50 tricept pulls. Its getting dark out in the evening before I can walk so started on the treadmill today.

Nov16

Set my new personnel best I alternated walking and running for 2miles in the hill’s and fields during 38 degs and heavy winds. Moved my bowflex to 60 reps of each now.

Nov 19th

I set a new personal record today I ran 2 miles @ 5mph on the treadmill tonight I walked in ¼ of a mile ran 2miles and walked out a ¼ mile.

I’ve kind of slipped in keeping my journal during December but here goes:

Currently:

I still do my above workout but I’ve increased the plank to 90 sec and everything else 10 reps 6 sets.

I now jog 2 miles every evening on the treadmill due to the shortage of daylight here, and wolves in my running area.

I have dropped 50 lbs, two pants sizes and 2 shirt sizes. I'm on track to my weight goal of 65 lbs lost by March 1st.

The weight loss has slowed some but I think I will still beat my weight/date goal.

Funny thing happened on Friday. I have been telling my wife I think my eyes are getting better. I have been wearing reading glasses for a couple of years and lately have found i don't need them. When I explained to my wife why i no longer wear them she gave that funny look out of the corner of her eye..

The next day I was informed I had an eye appointment which was last Friday. LOL

So.... we got to my eye doc and after the greeting and hand shake he asks how I’m doing? I say Much better… so good in fact, I don’t need my glasses anymore. The look on his face was priceless he has this little grin and says “well.. I'll let you know for sure"" " and don’t be surprised to find out it actually has got worse and that your glasses compound this and make you think you are doing better" My heart sank as i could understand how this would work.

The Doc does his tests and make a few huum noises and I’m thinking great new glasses...

He then says " Well Mike I am very surprised in fact I never seen this before, but your eye have indeed gotten better from a 1.50 to less than .75 too weak of a prescription to have made. And your eye pressure went from 17 to less than 10.

I also suffered from a chronic eye gland deficiency that secretes oils for your eyes. Mine wouldn’t and I had drops to take. I have forgotten about the drops and at that moment when he spoke about it working perfectly fine it dawned on me… I haven’t used my drops in a couple of months instead of several times a day...LOL

He asked what has changed in my life? I say Primal Blueprint.. he has this look of WTF???? On his face.

So I lead him to PBP and Marks forum and Survival Monkey.

So Doctor Kimball if you are here now and don't want to post I understand but welcome aboard :)

He told me he was very interested and would look up all the info I provided.

I have to date recruited 12 people to the PBP life.

Oh and my wife... She is losing weight at a slower pace than I am. She has dropped 30 lbs and my daughter the same.

Her MS doesn’t seem to hold her down in the afternoon as much anymore and she is walking everyday and doesn't look wiped out after. Her legs last much longer before going weak.

· I have no more allergies

· No indigestion/ heart burn

· my digestive system is now working like it should not on again off again.

· The ringing in my ears has gone away

· No headaches due to sinus infection.

· My blood pressure went from 140/ 95 to 125/75

· My eyes corrected

· My itchy skin went away

· Feeling bloated after eating has gone away.

2. Quigley_Sharps

I didnt want to post here until I lost 50lbs is the reason why i'm just now doing so. I wanted a substantial loss amount to show this really works.

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well I would say that is substantial loss... great job and one heck of a result!!!

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  4. Dawg23

Dawg23 do or do not, there is no try

thats awesome Quigs!

5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

That's really amazing Quigs, good job!

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This should always be the standard in living, and maintaining a healthy diet like this with routine exercise is good practice. Cutting out grains, flour and pasta is a tough measure, but it can be done. I commend anyone for taking this route, and I find myself doing well following this routine, even though I do not commit completely.

I still have pasta on occasion, and keep it in storage for emergency, along with wheat and rice, but I do not eat them any more on a regular basis. Great barter item, I suppose? In fact, it's been several weeks since I had some pasta, and even when I did, I ate it with a ton of meat and vegetables. Coconut oil is a perfect substitute for any oil, and I stock up on it. Grass fed beef and lamb, along with bacon and salmon are my primary proteins. I always eat organic, and buy from local, trusted growers if possible.

Of course, I have always maintained a healthy weight and eat sensibly, but since Melbo's post on the Tribal diet, I find myself leaning more toward the hard core adaptation of this routine, and I am not getting any younger so it would be wise for me to keep focused on its importance. For the older folks who have done well switching to this routine, I hope they continue to share their success stories! Well done!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Quigley, that's awesome!! Major congratulations and keep it going!

Kajun

8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

You go Quigley!!!

9. Quigley_Sharps

As of today I dropped 3 lb more since last post, but... I lost another pants size. If you dont lose Lbs you are still loosing size in the girth dept, only explanation i can give is im trading fat for muscle. I am wearing pants I haven't been able to get into for over 8 years. :)
    Also today I had to buy all new workout clothes my sweats were falling off my a$$.
    Im just starting to see some muscles showing through, Ones I thought were long lost and gone ..LOL

Current Workout:

Running 2 miles a day on Tues-Thursday- Friday and Saturday's

Long walk's on Sunday Min 4 miles

Mondays & Wednesdays (Weight days)
    2 mile walk optional on how I feel.

60 push ups- 10 reps 6 sets
    60 lat pulls-10 reps 6 sets
    60 chest flys-10 reps 6 sets
    60 Tricep pulls-10 reps 6 sets
    90 sec plank elbow-toes
    90 sec plank right side elbow and toes
    90 sec plank left side elbow and toes.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Incredible, huh?
    I told you it was easy ;)

The above was very well written Quig - I would imagine that you'll motivate a lot of folks with this and I appreciate you sharing.

11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Way to go Quig!!!

12. Quigley_Sharps

Thanks everyone.
    Yea M It is the easiest get in shape journey I've ever been on. And loosing the most weight of my life.
    It's incredible the strength and energy that had returned. I smile everyday when I'm reading without my glasses.
    Thank you Melbo for guiding me to this. My family will never be the same .... For the good !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

AmericanRedoubt1776, melbo and BTPost like this.
  13. melbo

You can sell your Ab-hancer on Craigslist...

abhancer.

14. Quigley_Sharps

Placed my first supplements order from Primal Blue Print.
    I'll update how I feel once they arrive and I start taking them.
    • 1 x Advanced Health Formula - AUTOSHIP*
    • 1 x Primal Essentials Kit - AUTOSHIP*

15. Quigley_Sharps

So that's how you did it !!! LOL I wish it was that easy.
    But this program is so easy a caveman can do it..LOL

16. Yard Dart

This caveman has been on it a week now and lost 5 lbs... my Primal journey has begun as well. Thanks @melbo and @Quigley_Sharps for the information, testimonials and motivational push to make a change. [winkthumb]

The hardest part for myself is eating the right things... I am realizing how much of the normal food that I would eat, is the wrong thing and bad for me. Sitting down at a restaurant today, my wife pointed out two things I messed up on... nice to have a partner watching and working with me on the plan!! I have so much reading to do... she read the books first when we received them (she is the diet pro and has been gluten free for quite some time as well as others like Adkins) and now I am getting into the material in more depth...much to learn.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Tully Mars, melbo and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  17. Quigley_Sharps

That's great YD. congrats you won't be sorry. The phone ap shop well really helps me when buying food I've learned labels lie, bar codes do not. They do thus by not listing individual ingredients they like to group them in one name of an larger ingredient. When I do eat out I keep it simple and order a steak and fresh veggies and ask for them to be cooked in olive oil or real butter. For breakfast I trade spuds and toast for sliced tomatoes or fruit.

Keep us posted on your journey I can't wait to follow it.

melbo and Yard Dart like this.
  18. melbo

Indeed, feels great to be in such good shape ;)

Yard Dart likes this.
  19. Yard Dart

I will have to check out the phone AP..... thanks for that heads up!! I have always done a pretty good dinner plan with the exception of potatoes (love them...) but the challenge will really be the breakfast and lunch meals...that is where my major adaptation will take place.

20. Quigley_Sharps

it really does feel great. I spent the day today by hells canyon steelhead fishing in below freezing weather all day in the river bed. At the end of the day instead of being drop dead tired like the last 7 years I felt great seemed to stay much warmer too all day.
    Got my work out walking in those round soccer ball sized rocks all day. And stretched my arms on several 12-16 lbs steelhead catches. :)

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GrayGhost
  4. hot diggity
  5. kckndrgn
  6. Minuteman
  7. ditch witch
  8. DarkLight
  9. Sapper John
  10. Yard Dart
  11. RightHand