Quiz:

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by magnus392, Oct 31, 2005.

1. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Do you know the difference in machine guns you can own, and the ones you can't? :D

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Where you live and if you have the money and record to get the stamps for them. Other than that I know there is a technical difference why you can own like a gatlin gun but without special papers not a full auto uzi. So whats the anwser you had in mind, since Im by no means an expert on this?

3. magnus392

Well you have to find what is classified as a Pre-86 Transferable weapon (receiver). That is part of the reason they are so expensive. IN '86 the Gub'ment decieded that no more machine guns would be made for us mere mortals. All of the legal existing ones where grandfathered, and became goldmines.

4. monkeyman

Which is kind of silly since a file will turn most semi autos into an auto for a few minutes of time if its a person wanting it for illegal purposes and if the person is detered by the law saying they cant have one then they would be detered by the laws saying they cant use it for criminal activity anyhow.

5. magnus392

Very true, but for some reason as with most things the gub'ment thinks it must regulate the law-abiding masses, lol.

Anyway, my post was just incase someone was wondering why they couldn't go out and buy a new MG, or was wondering why MG's are so expensive.

Now you can rent (at Class III) Dealers MG's on thier ranges, or if you know an 07FFL with a Class III liscense you can sometimes go out with them and shoot a new MG.

6. monkeyman

You can also use things like a hellfire spring in most areas and while I havent looked into it much as I understand it triburst guns are legal.

7. magnus392

A Triple burst is by definition an MG and therefore illegal with out proper paperwork.

Machine gun. Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machine gun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

http://keepandbeararms.com/laws/nfa34.htm That is the full text of the National Firearms Act, if you want to read it:)

So as you can see a triple burst is no bueno. :(

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Some day this might change.

9. magnus392

I would like to think so but really doubt it. Why would the government give back a right that has been taken since 1934? Even ammending the 86 law would be almost unheard of. But Hope is a good thing.

10. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Depends where you live - here I can buy anything I can afford. I have an Uzi, but frankly would rather shoot the AR-15 carbine with the EoTech on it.

MG's are so expensive because there are only so many - the law banned the making and importing of them made however many there were at the time more valuable. There are no "new" MG's but there are never-been-shot ones like the one I bought. I paid $5500 and now it's worth $2k more than that in less than 18 months.

It's highly doubtful that the '86 law will be overturned, but I'd be all for it. I did not buy my Uzi as an investment but to shoot. I have a supressor coming and have a 69rd drum for it, along with a .22lr kit.

11. magnus392

You are Correct Valkman, I am just talking about the right of general free ownership of NFA weapons. I know that if you have the $$$ you can own pretty much anything in free states, but as far as most of us most MG's are out of reach.

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

We are getting closer everyday.
    Just a few short years ago .... you couldn't pack a CCW hand gun in texas, now in Alaska you can CC a hand with out a permit, and righ at this moment the sate of Alaska is try to pass that towns insdie Alaska wont be able to change it .
    So little by little we are gaining ground.
    Have you heard about the fed firearms card?
    Buy any gun, any where ,anytime and walk out ?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7