Quote of the Day: Voltaire

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by chelloveck, Jan 3, 2014.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Via: December | 2013 | Dustin Boyer

It's a prayer that I'd be tempted to emulate...except that some of my opponents are quite capable of rendering themselves ridiculous without God's help. :p

Alpha Dog, tulianr, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I love me some Voltaire.

11images.

tulianr likes this.
  3. Minuteman

This is one of my favorites.

9images.

Brokor and Sapper John like this.
  4. Minuteman

And a few of my favorite Voltaire quotes

God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.
    Voltaire

Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare The truth thou hast, that all may share; Be bold, proclaim it everywhere: They only live who dare.
    Voltaire

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.
    Voltaire

tulianr, kellory and Sapper John like this.
  5. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

I actually like many of Voltaire's quotes but he didn't have much respect for any god or religion.

The physician, waiting up with Voltaire at his death, said that he cried out with utter desperation, “I am abandoned by God and man. I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months of life. Then I shall go to hell and you will go with me, oh, Christ, oh, Jesus Christ!”

He was a satirical polemicist, a firebrand who frequently made use of his works to criticize intolerance, religious dogma, and the French institutions of his day. Sometimes with stunning effect. IMHO he had some justification. due to the corruptness of the Church and the State.

Though I might admire his wit he once said that the Christian church would not last another fifty years. Perhaps due to the corruption he saw. Today his home exist as a Bible college.

He was an interesting man.

kellory likes this.
  6. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Here are a few of my favorite:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

Never having been able to succeed in the world, he took his revenge by speaking ill of it. - Voltaire

Men use thought only to justify their wrong doings, and speech only to conceal their thoughts. - Voltaire

God prefers bad verses recited with a pure heart to the finest verses chanted by the wicked. - Voltaire

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7