Rabbit stick

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bishop, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I need a little more practice but I will get it down.

Ganado, Legion489, Dunerunner and 8 others like this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Way kool! That thing really flies!

I read somewhere that the usual range for rabbits was 30 yds. (The practical compromise between long-range throwing and close stalking, I guess) If you can hit anything at 60 yards, I'd say you're really doing pretty good

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

70 years ago in Minn a rabbit stick was a stick about 2 feet long with a weight on the end and was thrown more like a hawk or axe and was used to kill rabbits, etc. Trick was to not look at them and walk near them, but not straight at them. Worked out OK until I got rabbit fever, tularemia, and mom and dad really got down on us about hunting them.

Dunerunner likes this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

My mother and her siblings (seven) hunted rabbits in the fields and fence rows and railroad track easement of Ohio around the town they lived in the 30s and 40s quite successfully with throwing sticks to supplement other meats during the allowed hunting season as they were growing up. Times were tough and you had to stretch a dollar. By the time the kids got to their teens they were working various odd jobs outside of the house to also supplement the family budget. It was sort of a Walton's thing like the TV show. It was expected of all of them. One of her favorite stories was of a group of city hunters who arrived well after sun up, around 9am or so and encountered her and a younger brother and scoffed at these two children hunting rabbits with sticks. Then one of the hunters maybe noticing the bulky bulging ragged old hunting coat asked if they had any luck. As it turns out, they had 4 rabbits and were headed home as they had other chores they were expected to do. This hunting thing was considered play for them.

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Wow a rabbit stick. What will they think of next, a chicken club?

6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Thanx for the helpful question.

7. duane

duane Monkey+++

No, for chickens you use a chicken hook, piece of stiff wire with a handle on it and a hook on the end that you use to catch their feet. Go into the coop after dark and snag them with the hook and put them in chicken crates. Some nights we would load 500 to 1,000 and you sure didn't do that chasing them around a yard and diving on them. Put their heads in a killing cone, used a foot powered device to behead them, hang up to bleed out, dip in hot water and pluck with a machine, then clean and put in ice water, then ice. I really really hated it, but it was part of life in those times as was butchering pigs, sheep, cattle, ducks, geese,turkey, deer and once in a while a buffalo or elk. I don't think I could do it now, but my dad and grand dad had a slaughter house and we processed animals or birds 5 days a week. I hated Thanksgiving as we did hundreds of turkeys, that and boning out the bones for hamburger. That was when we weren't farming. Both of my grand fathers had been farmers, but one had a saw mill, planner, cut and air dried wood and fire wood and built buildings, the other had a farm and a slaughter house and butchered and processed animals and ran a butcher shop. Gave me a lot of different experiences, but not much time for sports and there was no TV or video games then. Joined the USAF and escaped when I was 18 and actually found basic training to be relaxing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Bishop likes this.
  8. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Like I told my Daughters, boys are stupid throw rocks at them................

9. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

You are welcome. Don't you wish you thought of that?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Gator 45/70
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Bishop
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Air javelin

Just got this in and I am liking it. [MEDIA]