Rabies?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by melbo, Dec 9, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Anyone know anything about it?

Was talking to my wife at lunch today and we realized that Not one person we know has ever had it, talked about it or had an animal with it. Yet I was always warned as a child about that frothy mouth Dog... Not saying it isn't there, just odd that I've never seen it.

Reason it was the Lunch Topic is this:
    Last night before Bed, I noticed the cats gathered around my briefcase. I often find half eaten rodents stuffed in there :eek:

Lifted it up and saw a reddish looking mouse run out into the living room, followed by quite a few cats. They bring in so many things as they have "Doors" in which to enter and exit the Melbo Home. Anyway, I get sick of listening to the squealing of little things and have taken to grabbing the critter and tossing him outside to safety. Snakes, Bats, birds, mice, squirrels etc.

Well. Last night this little guy bit me as I grabbed him. Can't really blame him. I've been nipped before by critters. This one bits me twice. Hard. two bleeding holes from punctures. I didn't notice it until I had already tossed him off the porch, (to the outside cats..he he)

I squeezed it to keep the blood flow going. Thought it was good to let it bleed clean with pressure. I then Soaked it for an hour in a HomeBrew disinfectant. Seems fine today.

What is the chance that Field Mouse had something like Rabies? How would I know if I now had it? Anyone have any experience with this?

I was barking incessantly at Lowe's shoppers today. Is that bad?

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What is the risk of rabies from squirrels, mice, rats, and other rodents?
    Small rodents (such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, and chipmunks, ) and lagomorphs (such as rabbits and hares) are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States. Bites by these animals are usually not considered a risk of rabies unless the animal was sick or behaving in any unusual manner and rabies is widespread in your area. However, from 1985 through 1994, woodchucks accounted for 86% of the 368 cases of rabies among rodents reported to CDC. Woodchucks or groundhogs (Marmota monax) are the only rodents that may be frequently submitted to state health department because of a suspicion of rabies. In all cases involving rodents, the state or local health department should be consulted before a decision is made to initiate postexposure prophylaxis (PEP).

For more information about rabies in rodents and lagomorphs, see: Childs, J. E., Colby, L., Krebs, J. W., Strine, T., Feller, M., Noah, D., Drenzek, C., Smith, J.S., & Rupprecht, C. E. (1997). Surveillance and spatiotemporal associations of rabies in rodents and lagomorphs in the United States, 1985-1994. Journal of Wildlife Diseases, 33(1), 20-27.

We have a lot of rabid animals in this area so all pets must be vacinated

3. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got bit by a cat when I was in Flight School. Since I was drunk at the time, I couldn't go to the hospital right away or else I would have to go through alcohol rehab, (long story), so I opted for option two. I took the cat and wrapped him in a paper bag, got my pistol, and drove out in the country to shoot him. For reasons unknown, I decided on the pistol instead of the shotgun, and I also decided to give him a sporting chance, so I cut him loose and then shot at him with the 9mm. Bad idea, I missed. The next day, my had was the size of a grapefruit, so I went to the hospital having dried out. Needless to say, since I couldn't produce the cat, I had to get the rabies battery and a ass chewing for not coming in after it happened. I did have to explain to the doctor why I didn't come in and he was so pissed that he got the "if you are drunk when you come to the hospital, automatic alcohol rehab" policy eliminated. Never did find that cat.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sniper, did the shots hurt as bad as they say they do?

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No, the first ones do because they give you the shot in the infection sight and mine was the web of my hand, so that was a killer, but the rest are in the arm. Kinda like a flu shot. I was able to fly within 30 minutes after the shot, so they are not bad.

6. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Melbo, I would be kinda concerned if I wasn't so tippsie. My advise, surround the place. You know where to place the belt fed, locate the claymores in the dead areas. Call your friends and give the code. I'm already packed and should be there soon, hopefully I'm not too late........

Hang on little buddy!

phishi

7. melbo

That's just wierd... I was drunk at the time it happened and you are when you respond.

I see a pattern here. Both S and I got bit while drunk. Maybe we aren't so careful while on the sauce ;)

8. E.L.

Is that the theme from the "X Files" I hear playing in the background?

9. melbo

Could be EL.

My theme is don't drink and pet critters

10. E.L.

I think I should be drinking now. It all makes more sense when I do. [beer] [booze]

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

There goes College and high school parties :lol:

12. melbo

:lol:

Very true.

and truckstops.... :eek:

13. melbo

Had to bump this...

14. Quigley_Sharps