RadioShack files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Feb 5, 2015.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

A Division of Tandy Corporation or so the add says.

Had a TRS 80 with dual floppies. Wrote a novel that got honorable mention on that computer and also did all my business word processing and book keeping, still have it and the Daisy Wheel Printer in the shop. Only cost 5k!

But it also printed the then new Bar Codes and OCR shipping labels required for a government contract we did. That year the purchase price of all computer gear was a full wright off on Taxes, the Guv way of kick starting the computer in the small business world. Small facts, big results for those in the computer world.

Mindgrinder and kellory like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I learned to program in basic on a trash 80. Too bad, RadioShack isn't the company it used to be.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

RS got too big for their britches.

Open architecture of their products would have saved them if they had moved quick enough.

4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

TWIN 5.25 floppys !!!
    8 bit processor , This young man was in YVR many times . Him and a few gents (kids then as we all kinda were) I know in the Bits&Bytes arena (Not me to there contentment ) .. Was a young fun time between WA & BC . Between this & Music the Heart girls YVR night life (back then ) We had a great time .
    NOW YVR SUCKS !!
    don't do squat .

Old Sloth

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

What was Radio Shack great for? I will tell you.

1. If they had a store locally, you could walk in and pay CASH for items like the Pro 528 handheld triple trunking scanner, an 800 MHz whip antenna and odd assorted and handy items you really couldn't find online because you may have forgotten what it is called -and for that, all you need is a witty clerk who loves gadgetry, not every Radio Shack is the same, of course.

That's about all I can think of.

In recent years, RS had gone downhill offering cheaply made items and gimmick products most likely to attract sales as any business would, but they also dropped much of their hard to get crafty inventory to make room for this. Some of the tech products they had was way overpriced and they could not compete with Amazon and Wal-Mart. However, RS was great for those little tech items you needed spur of the moment.

oldawg likes this.
  6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

As a young man (just after the wheel came into wide spread use) Instead of going through the process and time delay of mail order you could just go to RS for a component to complete or repair a project. Even now with bank cards and online sales it is 2-7 days of waiting. Did we get used to the wait or just decide "oh well,that's the way it is?"

Brokor likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7