Railroading the troops?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dont, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

2. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I don't know about this one; and I've read all of the articles that have surfaced in the past few weeks concerning this incident. I think that the guy was sincerely trying to do something positive when he sent his email, warning his colleagues about the Afghan national in question; but (and it is a HUGE "BUT"), there is absolutely no justification or excuse for this Major having the trove of classified documents on his personal computer, which he had, and for his not understanding the problem with sending portions of these documents across unclassified channels.

Dont, I am sure that you, on many occasions while in the Marines, heard the expression, "Good initiative, Bad judgement." I think that is what we are dealing with here. He may not have meant any harm and, in fact, may not have done any harm; but his utter disregard for the protocols concerning the handling of classified data is, and should be, criminal. As someone who came from a Marine Corps intelligence (and no, that is not an oxymoron) background, I am appalled that this officer treated classified information in such a cavalier fashion. I think that he deserves an education in the matter.

Yard Dart, kellory and chelloveck like this.
  3. Dont

The claim was made that he had the clasified info on his computer for a future book he had planned to write....??? I have a real hard time swollowing this, however NCIS, his local command, and the judge advacate all stated that there was no need for prosecution in this case...
    I do not know about some of this and feel there is more to this story than what is released.. Have to see what else is released..

tulianr likes this.
  4. Dont

He was convicted in a courts martial, will be removed from the Corps honorably, all for self reporting a breach of security protocol ..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7