Raising Pigs/UPDATE HAVE PIGLETS

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Kathy in WV, Jul 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

No. Catchpole is tied off before I hook piggy gene. ( I ain't THAT dumb).

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

Lol, you guys...this thread seems to have been a trouble-making issue. I apologize for even posting it! I just really wanted to promote the breed, and other rare and endangered breeds too. The pork you get at the grocery store is pale, dry and pretty tasteless in my opinion. Wouldn't it be nice to have options? Large black numbers in the US are less than 1000, Old Spots are even more endangered. We are in the midst of a food crisis here. Just trying to be a blessing here, lol. Lol.

3. kellory

You did fine @Kathy in WV , Yard and I get along just fine. ;)

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I for one apologize for running amok Kathy.... I liked your thread, thank you for starting it!!
    I like any thread relating to livestock... just a smart way to raise your own food!!

AmericanRedoubt1776 and kellory like this.
  5. Kathy in WV

Ok then, you guys had me going! I'm usually the peacemaker for most part. I can get a little witchy sometimes I've been told. But us WV gals are all like that, lol. As Popeye said.... I yam what I yam! Seriously, go read about the virus if you don't do anything else. The National Pork Board had an article stating its so virulent that a thimble full is enough to infect every pig in the US today. Big wow for me... lotta pigs out there!

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. Kathy in WV

20140704_101901~2_1404676817992_1.JPG Pregnant young gilt lovin her mud.

Yard Dart likes this.
  7. Kathy in WV

20140704_094027. 2 LB boars courting my 500# Hampshire gal. Unfortunately she doesn't breed so she's headed to the freezer next. Sucks because that would have been a good cross for feeder pigs.

Attached Files:

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Been 4 years since we raised hogs so have been reading with interest. Ours were Hamps that we butchered at 350 and 400 lbs. Cannot beat fresh home grown porkers. Will buy a 150-200 pounder and fatten it for a couple months before "makin baking" out of it. Thanks for the thread. Will be putting in a new pen below the back pond so it can have plenty of mud time--LOL--makes them happy.

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

we buy them as just weaned. 35-40# so we know what they are consuming off the farm.
    once they get past 200, OMG they can pack it on in short order.
    Usually go to the spa at about 250-275#

It's so cute when they come back from the spa, all packaged up and into the freezer they go.

We found after several years of raising them, the closer we can get to 275 the better for the fat vs meat ration.

We typically raise either hampshires, duroc or a cross.

Each breed is going to have it's own ideal processing weight.

Just a word of warning. Once you've tasted pastured family farmed meat (chicken, pork, beef), You are going to wonder what the hell you've been getting in supermarkets and restaurants over the years.

Factory/feed lot meat sucks .. and I'm pretty sure it will kill you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  10. Kathy in WV

We just had a horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE first time farrowing with one of the gilts. Spent 36 hours taking turns fishing pieces of a decomposed piglet out of her cervix. I now know every detail of a pigs reproductive anatomy by feel. Something caused the first piglet to die and when she tried to push it out it fell apart, leaving her with a bunch of bones criss crossed over the cervix with the other piglets mashed up behind the bones. No way to get them out until all bones were removed. Lost the other 6 piglets from lack of oxygen. Had to call a Vet, she couldn't come but told us what to try. Would you believe she had us use a water hose to flush out the uterus? Lots of Penicillin shots for her this week but she is up and eating good. Wow what tough animals they are.

11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

The same way you stay safe when cutting a calf when the Bull is near.

Lots of space between you and the Bull

Lots of fencing between you and the Bull

Lots of Trees to climb.

Always look innoncent when the Bull arrives.

tacmotusn, Yard Dart and oldawg like this.
  12. tract

tract On Hiatus Banned

depending upon the terrain, yuo may well have to bait and shoot them, as if they were deer, if they escape. Not kidding, once they find out that they can fend for themselves, some of them like to roam a lot more area than you are likely to own.

13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Yup just get real close on one side and shoot it in the ear canal with a trusty 22LR. If it doesn't drop and turns on you, just jump in your armored wheel barrow.

M000X1 likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Like you hog Kathy in WV.

Kathy in WV likes this.
  15. tract

tract On Hiatus Banned

Hog's no different than any other critter. If all you have is a .22 and you don't want the meat full of adrenalin, you bait them in to you tree stand, wait until you have a full on frontal head shot( head lowered to eat or drink). Draw a mental "x" between ears and eyes, and that's your mark. If you can't arrange this, then it's a 223 sp thru both lungs, like you would deer or anything else. So nice to have both options, given the AR and the .22lr conversion unit.

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I just let them line up, 2 for 1 shot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Kathy in WV and kellory like this.
  17. kellory

Just like a few of my deer.;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Kathy in WV

20140826_184740.

ditch witch and Yard Dart like this.
  19. SemperFiSkye

SemperFiSkye Monkey+

Very informative.
    I've never kept pigs, mostly cows and horses here, but five years ago, in all my yankeefied glory, a horse got out and I thought hitting in the shoulder football style in mid-run would hurt the horse. Ha. Ha. HAHAHAHAHA. I thought pushing a horse would be mean and hurtful.
    These thoughts diminished over time-like when I was holding my horse's halter while X trimmed her hooves, and when she lost her balance and staggered back from us, she simply tilted her chin up and carried me, off the ground, right along with her.
    So, to notch piglets ears, if you're dead set on being around Mama, I'd say to have someone stand next to you with a bat. Start notching ears. When Mama comes, have Person 2 ready and willing. Knock her in the head. If she comes again, hit her again.
    OR
    If Mama's ok or semi ok with it, get the piglets up and put them in a box in front of her, then carry the box off. Do the notching completely away from her. Then, later, just bring the box back and release the piglets. In the meantime, all she'll have done is worry and look around for them. Much less stressful for everyone.
    Have fun :)

20. Kathy in WV

Lol, OK. Actually you put Mama hog in a pen just big enough to stand in. Same cage you use for giving shots or Vet work etc.... pull the mini pork chops out and plop in a box. Ear notch and castrate as needed, putting back with Mama after done. In a few minutes all is forgiven.

I wish my internet was good enough to post a video I took last week of the Vet guys bleeding my hogs for their bloodwork and health certificates. The level of SCREECHING....OMG!

tacmotusn likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Got pigs?

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Pig_family

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Pigs

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    But first coffee.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Yard Dart
  18. Yard Dart
  19. Benjamin A. Wood
  20. Benjamin A. Wood
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7