Ramblin

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Big Ron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I was telling my kids about how I used to strap my .22 rifle on the side of my bicycle and ride it out to the desert near our home and go shooting. I thought nothing of it.
    I grew up watching a lot of westerns and spent a lot of time and ammo shooting.
    I was good at hitting a spent shotgun shell many times and making it jump until I just couldn't see it anymore. I think I still am a good shot but not at the level of my youth. My property isn't that big and I figure I could still hit a golf ball off the top of a t-post anywhere on the property. I bought a good deer rifle that shoots flat and while I would keep hunting shots to under 300 yards, I wonder how far I could reach out with it. I also wonder how many millions of people can shoot as I can. Just thoughts to ponder while thinking about the future of our country.

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

2-300 yrds ,, I'm usually pretty darn close ,, with iron sights . 500 , it's been a while since i've had a chance to shoot at that range ,, so , now , it's hard to say . I used to tote around one of the old single cock Daisy BB guns ,, was good enough to shoot dragonflys at 20-30 feet i guess it was ,, was good enough with it to even know the elevation I had to hit targets outside of its flat range .
    I've not done any shooting much in the last few years , been dealing with work , life, chores , money, kid , and traveling for work , I just haven't had the time . I heard there opening up a range close by that's going to have a 500 yrd shooting range ,, going to have to try and hit that one , just gonna have to make time , before my time's up .

3. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Same here
    [flag]

duane likes this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

No idea! I once "qualified" by putting 40 issued rounds through the same hole using a issue M-16, got the pins to prove it! I once hit a bowling pin through the drivers side window of a dodge neon doing 25 miles per hour, with my issue 1911!

SB21 likes this.
  5. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Must have had a new barrel bushing most of the ones we had rattled and was loose as H*ll Then we went to 9mm and things got worse
    Though I do love my Wilson Combat in 9mm

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ours were brand new delta elite's! We got to break them in and then carried them for almost 2 years! Best fighting irons ever!

STANGF150 and SB21 like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I actually shot really tight with the Beretta 9mm.... did not mind the change at the time. The 1911's we had were really loose.... never knew were you would hit the target.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Used to romp around the woods with a Revelation (by Western Auto) .22 lever that my dad gave me and I still have. No one ever thought twice about a kid with a rifle in the 70's. It was nothing to spend my whole allowance from chores on .22 almost every week in the summer. It was nothing to hit a target, but where on the target to hit. I hunted squirrel and rabbit and it was always a head shot so they didn't suffer. Then .308 came into my life and many rounds later I was hitting things on the bank of the river I could barely see. I even once shot down a sapling pine tree at what must have been 1000 yards on a bet with 10 rounds. Then life started and and I doubt I will ever again fire as many rounds as I did in my first 16 years on Earth, though I can still hit something as big as a cat at 200 and man size at 500 with iron sights. I credit it to muscle memory and "learned the hard way" ballistic tables in my brain. A missed shot was a wasted shot and allowance money thrown away, so I really tried to not miss.

SB21, GOG, STANGF150 and 2 others like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

SAME AS I ^^^^ Sir .

I see many with the same up bring
    Im 60s era
    S

johnbb, GOG and Lancer like this.
  10. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Yup.
    Same Same.
    And hours at the tiny town open dump shooting rats for practice, but expected to bring dinner home that evening.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I went squirrel hunting 1 day ,, like you ,, mostly head shots,, thats where I would aim , but squirrels don't sit still long ,, I shot 1 one day , he started falling out of the tree , and he got caught in a fork of a limb ,, to far up to climb , and to big to shake ,, i usely shot with hollow points ,, so I started shooting the smallest limb , after about 10 or so shots , the squirrel fell to the ground . Got home skinned and cleaned them up , threw them in a pot , fixed up the stew ,, eating on that squirrel , I started having to pull splinters out of the meat from that limb I was shooting .

Cruisin Sloth, GOG and Tempstar like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7