Randall 18, Adjust a Knife to fit your needs

Discussion in 'Blades' started by HK_User, Dec 6, 2012.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Gunbunny made an observation about his test of a Sykes-Fairbain knife. His test of penetration suggested that he had the best knife for his use.

It is always a good idea to test your gear and along the way you may need to make a few changes. My first look- see on a new piece of gear is how it was presented for use by the vendor. I then compare that to at least two things.

1. How is it delivered and by that I mean the physical things like coatings, sheaths or design changes that may be a bit different than presented in the advertisement site you purchased from.
    2. How will it fit my needs? In this the sales people and visual arts crew will often do a bit of Photo Art to make a knife or other tool look better and to have that “I Gotta Have Look” for the buyer.

My example below is from a respected Knife Manufacturer and I do understand that changes are now in place for this Randall Model 18. Some of this is from the feed back of users and other changes are from the fact that I made this purchase 40 years ago.

The Randall as received was a beauty, all shiny and smooth, a glass polished finish on the handle slabs and shiny brass rivets on the sheath body. I soon found that saltwater and brass have the usual growth ability to turn green and grow their own sticky substance. This was repaired by removing the Brass and using a field expedient source of stainless steel screws and nuts. A sure fix that last to this day and solves the problem for me..

The handle slabs were found to be slick, even when dry, a layer of friction tape was first used but still not to my liking. The first chance I had at a sand blaster was at a repair facility. I blasted all that pretty shine away and had a well shaped, non sticky, traction plus handle.

Never feel that there is only one way to use your tools, make changes that work for you.

NOTE The system would not upload my picture.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7