range report for 5th of July

Discussion in 'Range reports' started by mage2, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

So a long time friend and fellow gun owner came to spend the weekend with my and my family, after much BBQ and fireworks sunday we made it out to a new (to us) range.

We had my 30-06 ATR mossberg, my newly finished frankenAKm my 10/22 ruger, my 45 kimber and my cz-52, raven 25 (POS).

FR-7, FR-8, kimber pro carry, walter P-22 target, and another cz-52,

I am not going to write up about all of these.

I had the chance to test fire my frankenAK for the first time. It worked with only 3 hickups, they were all where the hammer followed the bolt forward. this happened 3 times out of 80 rounds. I think im still in the break in time.
    I will say with the muzzle brake everyone knows you fired.
    (for those that have not followed my build the frankenAK is a AMD-65 kit with a full size stock, the AMD-65 has a short barrel so it needs a extended muzzle brake perm attached to the barrel to be legal)
    As for accuracy at 25 yrds i was cutting out the bullseye, @ 50 grouping opened up some and it was hitting a little high. and at 100yards i was still able to get them all in the target. I was impressed with its abilities. Now to get the scopemount and a red dot scope.

My 30-06 held its ground at 100 yards with MOA or sub MOA groups
    I tried rem 150 grn normal and it did ok. My 30-06 doesnt seem to like 180 grn rounds. I also picked up a box of the Remington Acclerator rounds
    55-Grain PSP Bullet, 4080 fps
    They were not as accurate as I would have hoped, they hit high as i kinda expected but the grouping was not great. still they go fast. @ 36 for 20 rounds, not going to be pllinking ammo at all.

The FR-7 and FR-8 both in 308 need some help, they were not grouping as would be expected of a bolt action rifle, but they are not mine to play with.

the kimber pro carry seemed to have more muzzle climb than my standard custom II, and the walter p-22 does not like yellow jacket rounds.

the CZ-52 gave me some trouble and im going to be taking it apart when i get home.

As for the range, its a really nice setup with a group of people that are not of the babysitting type. and @ $65+$5 for a year pass, the cost is right where I like it.

If anyone is looking for a good range south of austin PM me and ill send you the info ( i would post here but dont want anyone to think im with the company.)

questions, comments are welcome.

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Gotta love the range 'fireworks'! [gun]

I did one range with a buddy Friday, then another closer range Saturday with a different buddy.
    The second day, I shot my FR8 testing some handloads - 165 gr. Gamekings over W748 powder in brand new .308Win brass. I used my V-notch rear sight, and shot at 50 yards (old eyes!) - did real well. Got most rounds inside two inches.

Friday's range visit, I shot my Yugo M48A Mauser in 8mm. Tested some 220 grain Spitzer loads, again at 50 yards. Got all shots within an inch - this rifle likes her bonbons with extra calories! [lolol]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7