Range Report Rock River Entry Tactical

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gillman7, Feb 26, 2007.

1. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Well I finally got to go to the range this weekend and shoot my celebratory gift to myself in response to Nancy Pelosi's rise to Speaker of the House.

I found out what I was afraid of. This rifle is far more accurate than I am. The stupid thing consistently shoots where I aim it. I had a major shoulder surgery about a year ago, and have not shot long guns much since then, and now am convinced that me and this new friend of mine will have to spend many more days together.

I have not bought the Eotech to go on it yet, so I am using iron sights. At 25 yards, sighting it in, my 5 shot groups, I could lay a 50 cent piece over with several times I had double hits in the same hole. At 100 yards, I still could lay a dollar bill over them. I was shooting off of a bench, and did not do as well free hand. I really need to get this shoulder back in shape.

I caught myself moving the stock off of my shoulder, and deeper into my chest and was still consistent, just everything was to the right. The recoil was negligible, I shot around 150 rounds, and was a little sore, but not as bad as I expected to be.

If you have not shot one with the 2 stage match trigger, you need to. It is crisp, no creep, or spongy feel to it. Also when it breaks it is very solid. The first few times I shot it, it surprised me that it shot when it did, I did not anticipate the shot at all. I really love this gun, now if .223 prices will just come back down, I will enjoy it a lot more!!!

[gun] [gun] [gun]

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice. That two stage trigger is wicked. I need to shoot my new RRA purchase. I am glad to hear that you were happy with yours. My purchase of course was in celebration of Ms. McCarthy's attempt to renew the AWB +.

3. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

My celebration to that is I am saving for an M1A. I am hoping to have it in about a month.

You will love your RRA. I also bought a stripped lower, and am trying to decide what to do with it. Maybe a pistol???

4. E.L.

I would like to have another M1A, but they are just a little too proud of them. I am going to focus on picking up another AR, maybe two more. My wife shoots the bolt guns well, and I am going to let her decide if she likes the Mini-14 or the AR platform better. Whichever one she likes best she can have. The same with my oldest daughter. AR's, AK's, Mini-14's, I like them all.

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Also dont overlook the SKS's. While they may not have the detachable mags that are reliable, stripper clips are super cheap at present and you could buy SEVERAL SKS's for the price of most of the others. If nothing else they would be a great investment if you have the money. If the new AWB dose go through then it will include the SKS and you could very likely more than double your money on them, if it dosent you still have some very solid and reliable guns that work well.

6. E.L.

I shot my RRA AR this weekend. It was a shorter range session than I would have liked, but I was really happy with "The Rock!" I had to adjust the sights, as it was consistently hitting low, but after raising it about three or four clicks it was nailing the target exactly where I wanted. The two stage match trigger is really nice, and "The Rock" fed flawlessly. I brought a bunch of Wolf and Federal SS109, but I didn't have time to shoot the Federal. The Wolf ammunition ran really well. This rifle has already been broken in, and ran like a champ. Groups were very consistent. I think I will have to have another.

7. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Too cool!! What kind are you looking at next? I bought two stripped lowers, and am thinking about a CAR upper with a stainless barrel.

I got out to the range also, didn't shoot a round of ammo, but had an absolute blast with my 10 year old son, and his friend.

I did not try any Wolf in mine yet, did you get the chrome lined barrel? I am going to see if I can find a good deal on an EOtech at Wanamachers.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hold off on the EOTech for a bit. I just bought a Bushnell XLP and will give you a rundown when it gets here.[touchdown][touchdown]Half the price --:sneaky:

9. E.L.

Check out Ebay for EOtechs.

It does have a chrome lined barrel.

The next one, will more than likely be another RRA.

10. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Really!? I have the Dominator 2 sight base on my RRA, will the Bushnell mount on the same mount? I would think it would, the problem that they had initially was raising the EOtech so it would not interfere with the sights, I believe.

11. ghrit

This is going on a flat top with fold down irons, Picatinney rail.

12. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Alrighty now. Nice rifle. Try some Black Hills ammo. The 77 Gr is real accurate. RRA makes a great rifle.

13. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Hey, Ghrit,

ANy update on the Bushnell?

14. ghrit

Yup, now you mention it. Mounted on the flat top I have, you can see the irons thru the glass, easy to co-register. The dot (one moa in a 65 moa circle) is adjustable for brightness, but I haven't tried it in low light yet, nor in bright sunshine, the testing was done at the NRA range in Fairfax. Worth noting, I think, is that with my eyes, the dot and circle are slightly pixelated, somewhat similar to the focussing ring on an older 35 mm camera.

I believe it will improve on what I can do with the standard rear peep and front post by quite a bit after I get the rough trigger sorted out. As it is, I'm only able to hold about 4 moa, should be MUCH better with some trigger work. This is a carbine, not intending half an moa at long range. Since I've never seen an EOTech, I can't make a comparison, but this looks good enough for my purposes.

Whether or not it will go on the Dominator mount, I can't guess off hand.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7