Range time with Mags

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Mar 6, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Four hours, a couple of hundred rounds and two sunburns. We didn't take as much as we usually do, but still had a lot of fun. The .300 Win. Mag. does a number on half inch steel plate. It didn't go all the way through, but nearly did with a huge bulge on the other side. Magnus is holding a 7.62x39 up to the hole the .300 Win. Mag made. Impressive penetration.
    2006_03_06_range_medium_181. 2006_03_06_range_1_medium_222. 2006_03_06_range5_medium_200. 2006_03_06_range6_medium_169.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nice. I'm still not upgrading to 300 Winmag just yet. 308 is next on the aquisition list, after I get a reasonable place to shoot that doesn't take an hour to get to. Plus, I have to get the Romy built. I think I may have to head out your way ---

How did the shottie run? [beer]

3. E.L.

Come on down, we would love to have you. The scattergun scattered nicely. Very impressive on plastic gallon water jugs. Close up on target it made a nice, big hole. It also worked well knocking down the 1/2 inch steel plate targets. The recoil was pretty mild also. It felt more like a 20 gague than a 12 gauge.

4. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah it was a hoot, EL and I had a great time and his family as always were great host. Steak was good buddy [bow] ! Yard work was fun to...well cept for the tree fallin on me [gone]

5. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I hear there's gonna be a get together in April.....

that's the word anyway.... [boozingbuddies]

6. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

EL, put some .30-06 AP into that .300 win mag and I guarantee that it would have went through that plate!

7. E.L.

:eek: Don't tell me you can shoot .30-06' through .300 Win. Mag. barrel/chamber.

8. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No, but you can pull the bullets out of the .30-06 and load them into .300 win mag cases and shoot them. That is why I went with the .300 Win Mag over other rounds for my big bore. I use it for Elk hunting, but it is my additional duty big duty gun before I got the .50 BMG. I have AP rounds, Tracer, and I also have 173gr. ball rounds. Gotta love the .300

9. E.L.

[bow] [winkthumb]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7