real world stopping power handgun info

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, May 24, 2019.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I like my big heavy .45s, but they are big and heavy. The PMR30, with its low recoil and high capacity magazine is my frequent choice around the house. I can hit man size targets to 80 yards with it, and it's eyeball accurate up close.

There's a point where the will to live meets a powerful desire to stop any further pain.
    That's the whole point of having 30 rounds of .22 Magnum in the magazine.
    It just keeps delivering more pain.

Surprisingly, and totally counterintuitive, I know of a gunfight that was ended by one round of .45 ACP birdshot to the chest.

Took all the fight out of a 300 pound man with a 2x4.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Maybe...
    Every firefight that I have been in has been different in how people react when they are shot..
    I would not want say anything is guaranteed , in a shooting situation...
    ( Not saying that anyone here is doing that...)
    Be that as it may...
    I still stand by my original post in this thread....
    Bullets can do weird things when they hit flesh...and never underestimate the will to live..no matter what.
    Just have way too much experience in seeing that , to think otherwise...
    Andy

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    arleigh, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

My Dad, a WW2 vet, told a harrowing story where they were under attack by the Japanese. It was common knowledge that soldiers on both sides were given amphetamines and likely other drugs. In this particular attack he had emptied his rifle (a Garand, so 30-06) into an attacking soldier, several of which he knew were fatal. The soldier, nonetheless, kept charging and Dad had to finish him with a bayonet suffering a cut to oneof his thumbs from his enemy's bayonet. Imagine taking as many as eight 30-06 rounds and still on your feet and charging. Dad was a good shot and pretty cool under stress, so at least five would have hit center body mass, and I wouldn't have been surprised if all eight had made it there.

Dad was pretty certain that the Japanese soldiers were drugged to the point that they felt no pain and didn't realize they were given fatal wounds and would just keep coming. His experience was not unique on that day or on others. He was not a man to relate combat stories - I only heard this one in the latter stages of life when I was his caregiver and taking him to his medical treatments. In this case psychological treatment, which none of us children had ever been aware of previously. He never wanted us to know his internal battles, but his Doctor wanted me as his caregiver to understand, so I was invited to those sessions. BTW, that was not even near the worst of the stories I heard during those sessions.

AndyinEverson, Mountainman and oldawg like this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Man that doesn't want to die is hard to kill. Man that wants to kill you before he bleeds out harder still.

AndyinEverson and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The first describes your average American soldier, and the latter describes your average Japanese soldier. Still we prevailed!

3M-TA3 likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I notice how some folk can be knocked out rather easily and some seem impervious to similar impacts.
    In high school foot ball I made some seriously brutal helmet cracking impacts and never flinched . but some of the opponents did not fare so well.
    The brain is a curious thing person to person , we are not all alike .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7