Rebuilding the Pantry

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Jaybird, Jun 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

We wiped out our emergency food stores after a two year unemployment stint. We are starting the process to rebuild those stores now. We are struggling with getting a garden to grow, so we just bought yellow squash and green beans from a local couple. Today's activity consisted of breaking a bushel of green beans and canning 14 quarts of squash. There is more squash and the green beans will get canned as well. I we are not setting the woods on fire with this, but we are working to get back closer to where we need to be. I find this all works better when we work as a team.

BenP, TinyDreams, TnAndy and 13 others like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Slow and steady and go big where you can. You're already ahead of the crowd just in knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2020
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Two years ouch!
    I was laid off from Learjet in Jun of 1982 and did not find steady work again until April of 1984. That was plenty bad enough.
    Unemployment insurance has a nasty habit of underfunding you and then running out.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Seems to me that rebuilding stores will take as long as the initial build. Your key will be to take it steady, not in spurts. The need is not coming any faster now than it was then, and a panicky haste will not help.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'm trying to build up a years supply of food myself. Kinda hard to do in an apartment.

T. Riley likes this.
  6. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

The problem was, I didn't qualify for unemployment insurance. Wife was working at half my salary at the time. We made it through, so now it's time to rebuild.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  1. TnAndy
  2. Big Ron
  3. DKR
  4. Ganado
  5. Motomom34
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid