Receiver Jigs

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tully Mars, Jun 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Ganado, Marck, stg58 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Anxious anticipation... [clp] [yack] [rockon][coffee2]

Ganado likes this.
  3. Tully Mars

I like the fact that the AR jig is made to use a small router or a drill press. Thought it could be set up in a milling vice and used with a milling machine as well. I'm anxious to try them out.

Marck, Ganado and kellory like this.
  4. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

You might double check that. The website said, "Components are Type III hard anodized for extra wear resistance."
    As you know, hard coat anodizing is a process typically used in conjunction with aluminum alloys. It might have hardened steel drill bushings inserted.

AT

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Tully Mars likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Also interested in your results and experience. Looks like a great jig/process!

If you haven't already done so check out this guide on the AR15 forums: Vader Spade’s 80% AR-15 build - Milling, Etching, & Anodizing - AR15.COM

''It truly makes finishing your lower a monkey simple process. " [coo]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
  6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I bought my 80% lowers from Ares Armor to show my support, also bought the jigs, bought a mini mill form HF and a belt drive conversion.

Unfortunately I lost them all when I was in the row boat accident up in Alaska visiting BT.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Dang Monkeys, are the worst RowBoat Navigators that ever existed.... Good thing they are Good Swimmers, or there would be a lot fewer of us around....

8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I should have added I bought a AR15 lower and an AR10 lower, only have the 15 lower about half done, be prepared to deal with a LOT of aluminum shavings. I bought 2 more 15 lowers when they were on sale because I thought the guberment might clamp down on the sale of them, but alas they are at the bottom of Excursion Inlet, while salmon fishing from my row boat....

gundog10 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

There is more steel and aluminum at the bottom of Molon Lake than any other body of water in the world.

10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Could be worse, it might be a sink hole....:eek:

William Antrum likes this.
  11. Dunerunner

It looks like they have the jig mated to a PORTER-CABLE 97310 trim router. I wonder how well that works? Sure cheaper than a drill press and portable...

Tully Mars likes this.
  12. Tully Mars

I plan on finding out. I'm going to set up the jig that way for the first one. Using a mill will be faster, and perhaps cleaner but I'm trying for alternate ways-just in case;)

Dunerunner and kellory like this.
  13. Dunerunner

I wrote to 80% and this is their reply...

The finish is almost perfect when used with that router. If you still have that router (they no longer are produced) then you will get a great finish.

Best Regards,

Jeff P.
    80% Arms Inc.

Tully Mars likes this.
  14. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

With AR lowers going for $50 regularly, I just can't justify buying an 80%. Same with 1911 frames, cheaper to buy a completed one than an 80%. As an experiment, sure, why not? To get training, absolutely. To save money? Can't see it. To get an "unregistered" gun? You DO know they often (usually!) roll over and turn the records of who buys over to the gov't don't you? Same with jig makers.

15. Tully Mars

Honestly I don't care about trying to save money on this project. There are a number of reasons for this, mainly for the skill and practice. As far as "lists" go, that hoss done left the barn years back.

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Same kinda reason I'm learning to cast lead.

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and azrancher like this.
  17. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

It's for the same reason I buy guns F-F rather than going through a background check..., maybe I really don't have a TS SBI clearance, I do know I had a brother who was a drug dealer and a nephew who is doing life for a 2nd degree and prison escape. But I guess my family had a rather sorted background.

Tully Mars likes this.
  18. Tully Mars

Got off the phone with a gent from 80% a little while ago. VERY friendly and answered all my questions quickly. I mentioned that I was looking at routers this morning for the project and told him about one by Ridgid that I thought might be good since the Porter Cable used in the video is no longer made.
    "The little one with the really nice fine adjustment?"
    "That's the one."
    "BUY IT! That's the one I use personally and it kicks@zz"
    So I guess it's back to Home Depot tomorrow after I drop off the money order for the jig, tool kit and a couple receivers:)
    Same for the HK jig, only it won't ship til after the 6th.

Dunerunner and kellory like this.
  19. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

My reason for purchasing castings or 80% anything is to get the machining time and expirience on making firearms.. More you do it the faster and more efficient you become. Comes to a point when you are able to machine one from a bar of stock.. I have a long ways to go!

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and oldawg like this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This the one? RIDGID 1-1/2 HP Compact Router-R24012 - The Home Depot

Dunerunner likes this.
  1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer