Recipees needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monkeyman, Oct 21, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As a lot of you already know I buy my meat on the hoof and generally go for whats cheap or occasionally just what catches my attention. I went 'grocery shopping' last night and pork was way overpriced at 50 cents per pound and up where I'm used to paying about 10-15 cents per pound for it on the hoof, BUT they had sheep that I know is a lot more pricey meat and I decided to try some at 41 cents per pound on the hoof (which will be around 70-80 cents per pound table weight), the most I have ever paid for meat on the hoof but thought it would be nice to try. There's one problem though, me and Tina neither one has had it much and neither of us knows that much on cooking it, so was wondering if any of you have eaten much lamb/mutton/sheep and had any good recipes you would be willing to share since by tomorrow night we will have around 125-150 pounds of the stuff in the freezer? Thanks.

2. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Lamb Chop Recipe

Ok, this is less work than it sounds like and it depends on the spices you have, but it is an awesome dish for either the Rib Chops or Lamb chops. Make sure the cuts are thicker since Lamb tastes best cooked medium rare to medium.

Slightly involved recipe, but worth it:

1) Lightly coat rib chops with salt, pepper, garlic, and fresh rosemary (helps if you grow it, I do)

2) In saucepan, (since you are cooking for 2) put 1/2 jar of apricot jelly. Let it melt on low heat and then add the most inexpensive balsamic vinegar you can find (about 1/4 cup for 1/2 jar of apricot jelly) stir and keep on low heat. Let reduce by 1/3. Once reduced, either put a chopped handful of fresh mint or 1-2 tbs of dried mint.

3) either barbecue or broil the chops for about 3-4 minutes a side for medium rare (assuming medium hot fire).

Serve with the apricot mint sauce over the top. My wife didn't like lamb until I made this dish. Now she asks for it.

Easy Recipe: Season with Lawry's season salt. Grill to medium rare.

BTW: People have been known to plan their vacations around my cooking schedule.

3. monkeyman

Cool, thanks.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I can't help you with liver, tongue, lungs and whatever else you save from your buc [peep] thering...

5. monkeyman

Well, most any liver is good sliced this and fried up with onions and some salt, pepper and garlic. The tounge I can find recipees for to do like beef, lungs Ive never had or heard of, heart though from many animals (deer, beef and buffalo I know for sure) is among the best cuts of the whole animal iether sliced and done up as steaks or stuffed and baked like you would a pepper but with less burger and more bread crumbs and veggies. :p

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7