Recipe RECIPES

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ghrit, Mar 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

needs green pepper's and tortillas .

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

An Excellent Beef Stew Recipe .. stovetop version

Note: as a former Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Explorer, I put away more Dinty Moore Beef Stew than you could ever imagine. This has been my standard to meet or beat while still keeping it simple and convienent to make. I have two recipes I have settled on as my standards. Here is one of them.

ingredients;

2 to 2.5 pounds beef .... i normally use chuck or sirloin
    1 large softball size sweet onion
    1 lb carrots
    1 lb mushrooms
    1.5 lb potatoes
    1 stick of butter
    1/4 cup flour
    2 teaspoons beef base (or 2 boullion cubes)
    1.5 cups Burgundy wine
    1 can 10.5 oz tomato soup
    1 can 10.5 oz mushroom soup
    water
    salt, black pepper, garlic

get all your ingredients together so you don't have to rush to the store. prep your veggies, wash them, cut them up to size that suits you, and set aside.
    cut your meat up 3/4 to 1 inch cubes/pieces
    melt half stick of butter in 5 quart pot. add the meat, cook,brown, stir over medium heat until fairly evenly browned. remove meat to a mixing bowl or something of similiar size and set aside.
    melt the second half stick of butter in the same pot, and add sliced carrots and course chopped onions and saute,cook over medium heat stirring regularly until carrots are fork tender.
    add reserved meat back to pot, add flour to pot and stir to moisten. when you see no more dry flour add wine, soups, seasonings except salt, beef base, and stir. this should produce an excellent gravy sauce for the stew. adjust with water if too thick.
    add the mushrooms and diced potatoes, stir in
    reduce heat to slow simmer (very slow boil) and cover.
    I normally let this simmer for at least an hour, stirring at least ever 15 minutes, but this can be eaten as soon as the raw potatoes are fully cooked.
    I think you will find this IS a most excellent stovetop stew that isn't all that difficult to throw together, and that pleases the taste buds. ENJOY.[beer]

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Quigley_Sharps

Halibut Ceviche

Halibut Ceviche
    <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->This is a fantastic way to eat fresh halibut!

Cut fresh fish into 1/2 inch pieces.
    Finely chop or dice sweet onion (as much or as little as you like)
    cover in fresh squeezed lime juice (enough to pretty much cover the fish) in non-reactive bowl and refrigerate.

(I usually go about 6 hours or until the center of the fish pieces are cooked.)

Drain off lime juice.
    Add diced tomato and chopped cilantro
    salt and black pepper to taste.
    Mix well and back in fridge for a bit to blend flavors, or just start eating.
    Serve with corn chips.

(optional - add cut up pieces of avocado. This is very good but the avocado doesnt keep as well so if you arent going to eat it all in one sitting you may not want to add this. Otherwise good for a few days in the fridge, but make sure you pour off lime juice or it will keep cooking and get tough).

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Fast Brazilian Black Beans and Rice
    two cans Black beans
    one cup sour cream
    one can tomatoes w/chiles and onions
    two cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    four cups cooked rice
    12 large veined and peeled shrimps
    sliced jalapenos

Spread cooked rice into bottom of glass baking dish
    spread sour cream over rice
    drain black beans and spread on top of sour cream and rice
    pour can of tomatoes, chiles, and onions over beans
    add shrimps
    cover with cheese and decorate with sliced jalapenos
    bake at 350 until cheese is beginning to crust

serve with chilled Modelo

6. gravelgurdy

gravelgurdy Monkey+++

I am looking for a particular recipe. ... If anyone has a good knock off recipe of Picnic n Chicken's BBQ Chicken, that even comes close I would really appreciate you posting it. Not any old good BBQ Chicken recipe will do. I was on the left coast off and on from 1976 until 1984 and I was addicted to this chicken. If you never had any you just would not understand. I have missed it since I left, and now I just became aware the company "Picnic n Chicken" has been defunct for a few years.

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

a most excellent cheese spread

no electric mixer required.
    1 lb extra sharp cheddar cheese (fresh grated) (by you)
    8 ounces cream cheese - softened
    1/4 cup miricle whip
    1 Tablespoon tabasco or hot sauce
    7 ounce jar diced pimentoes (do not drain)
    1 teaspoon Seasoned salt (I use Lawry's)
    1 teaspoon course grind black pepper (I fresh grind)
    in a 12 to 15 cup mixing bowl, grate cheddar cheese, slice softened cream cheese, dump in the rest, and cut together using a couple table knives. switch to a large fork to finish blending. divide into to batches for storing in frig with a couple quart storge containers with lids. It will go bad eventually if you lose it in the frig, but mine disappears too quickly for that.
    enjoy

8. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

Pemmican without the lard

Here is a recipe that I tried. It came out pretty good. It uses peanut butter instead of lard/suet- making it more palatable.
    (Pemmican - rec.food.recipes | Google Groups)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Saskatoon Pemmican
    Yield: 3 cups
    1 c Jerky; beef or venison
    1 c Dried Saskatoon berries or
    -dried blueberries
    1 c Unroasted sunflower seeds or
    -crushed nuts of any kind
    2 ts Honey
    1/4 c Peanut butter
    1/2 ts Cayenne [optional]

Grind [or pound] the dried meat to a mealy powder. Add the dried
    berries and seeds or nuts. Heat the honey, peanut butter and cayenne
    until softened. Blend. When cooled, store in a plastic bag or sausage
    casing in a cool dry place. It will keep for months.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    My experience-
    --I formed the Pemmican into a 1/2inch to 3/4inch thick sheet and cut it into about 3x2 pieces. Since it was very tacky I placed the pieces on wax paper, put them in a plastic container and stored them in the fridge. I left the lid slightly open and after a couple of weeks the pemmican was harder. After that I stored it in sealed in the fridge where it lasted for several months.

9. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

Ckae without persihables!

I found this recipe on another site- (Wacky Cake)
    The misses made it for me on Father's Day (with much trepidation) and one of the boys made a chocolate butter-cream frosting.
    The whole family decided that is was pretty good. We were surprised since it didn't use the normal ingredients.
    The great thing about this recipe is that you usually have the ingredients stored. Try it for your family- but don't tell them until after!

Wacky Cake

Ingredients: 1 ½ cup flour
    3 Tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp salt
    1 Tbsp vinegar
    5 Tbsp oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup water

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl and stir to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until you get a smooth batter. Do not beat. Pour into greased and floured pan (8" square or 9" round) or 12 cupcakes. Bake in oven until tests done - about 35 minutes for cake, about 20 minutes for cupcakes.

Substitutions:
    Vanilla: omit cocoa. Double the amount of vanilla.

Spice: omit cocoa. Add 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice.

Orange: omit cocoa & vinegar. Substitute orange juice for the water.

Lemon: omit cocoa. Substitute lemon juice for vinegar. Can add some lemon extract.

Gluten Free: Substitute 1 ¾ cups GF Flour Mix for wheat flour. Add 1 tsp xantham gum

10. Quigley_Sharps

My hunting camp Elk stroganoff

• One Elk steak per person eatting cut into 1/2" stips.
    • 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of mushroom soup
    • 1 can or jar (4 oz) sliced mushrooms
    • 1/4 to 1/2 cup sour cream
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • One med onion cut up into shoestring size peices 1/2" long
    • shot of worchester sauce

Combine all ingredients except the sour cream, in the slow cooker/Crock Pot or dutch oven on the camp coals. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. sour cream, 10 minutes before done; salt and pepper to taste.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Quigley_Sharps

Made this tonight

Insanely Great Smoked Carnitas:
    • 1 Boston Butt, bone-in, about 5-6 lbs.
    • 2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
    • 8 cloves garlic cut in half

For The Rub:
    • 3 Tablespoons Chili powder
    • 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
    • 1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
    • 1 Tablespoon Cumin
    • 1 Tablespoon Coriander
    • 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
    • 1 Teaspoon White Pepper
    • 1 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper

For The Mop / Sauce
    • 1 12 oz bottle of dark Mexican beer like Negra Modelo
    • 3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
    • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
    • 1/4 cup canola oil
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 Tablespoons of the Rub
    1. Place roast in a container with the orange juice and garlic cloves to soak overnight, turning once or twice so the roast marinates evenly.
    2. Discard OJ and garlic and rinse the roast off and pat dry with paper towels.
    3. Make the rub by mixing together all the ingredients in a bowl, set aside 2 tablespoons for the mop sauce. Pat the rub all over the roast and let sit to cure for a few hours
    4. Make the mop sauce – mix all ingredients together and set aside about 3/4 – 1 cup for later when the meat is done
    5. I use a Traeger and smoke it for 3-4 hours then increase the temperature to around 250. I smoke with fruit woods but you can use what ever you like, You can also set up a grill for indirect grilling, medium hot,
    6. Cook the roast while liberally mop the roast with the mop sauce about every 45 minutes to an hour till the roast is around 185° in the center.
    7. Pull the roast and wrap in aluminum foil the temp will conitue to rise around 190-195 in the center
    8. When it’s done, let sit for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, then tear it apart into shreds.
    9. Ladle the remaining mop sauce over the shredded pork.

I have made it many times and it is very tasty I usually do two pork butts at a time.

Enjoy

P.S. The beer isn't necessary but its tasty. Be sure to drink the rest [winkthumb]

12. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ok...Going to try that one, Quigs...Thanks! :)

13. Castiel

Castiel Monkey+

Well, you said home recipies as well so I got one for steak that has never let me down. I always go by taste so unfortunately I can't tell you exact measurements, but I've made it so many times that I can guesstimate and it's fine.

Salt (base)
    Pepper
    Sugar
    Red Pepper Flakes
    Cayenne
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Clove
    Parsley
    Thyme

With this dry rub I also Carmalize onions and put them on top when ready to serve. I also let the rub sit on the steak for an hour or so before I do it. Also a little honey right before grilling doesn't hurt. I sometimes make it sweeter or hotter depending on how I'm feeling.

14. Seacowboys

Crawfish Pasta

Two Lbs peeled crawfish tails
    bunch green onions chopped
    quart sliced mushrooms
    half-stick butter,
    splash or two of red wine
    fresh ground pepper
    cup of warm milk
    two tea spoons flour
    salt
    quarter cup extra virgin olive oil
    cup heavy cream
    cup grated Parmesan cheese

Saute onions and mushrooms in butter and olive oil. Add Crawfish meat. Add wine, salt, ground pepper. Mix flour with milk and pour over mixture, add heavy cream once sauce begins to thicken. Add grated cheese and serve over pasta with crusty bread and a decent Merlot.

15. CRC

No Seafood? No Problem....!

Just another reason to love Louisiana!

Worried about the seafood coming out of the Gulf? Look no further....(and yes, my friend made these!)

Handmade ground beef patties, topped with sharp cheddar cheese, wrapped in a bacon weave, then add hotdogs as the heads & legs with slits for toes and tail.

Place on an oven rack, covered loosely with foil and baked for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees. A little crispy, not too crunchy..... just how a turtle should be, no?

[​IMG]

Anyone else feel their arteries slamming in protest?? ;)

SB21, ghrit and kellory like this.
  16. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

:lol:

17. CRC

I reckon you could use ground turkey, and turkey bacon if you were really trying to cut back on the Fat......but what fun would THAT be????

I love my Cajun friends! [beer][applaud]

18. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I'm not much of a cook for complex meals, but i do BBQ well...(it's a tradition... :D). If you have a meat that's like too hard, or tends to get dry and stiff, I rub in it mustard (i think that's what you call it...the thing you put in a hot dog, the 3 basic food groups, mayo, catchup and mustard?... :D). Cover it completely with mustard, rub it in well, and let it sit and soak in for at least an hour (the longer, the better). Even old mule meat will be soft and tender...

19. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I love the turtles. We have a family reunion in late April or early May here in Florida every year. There is always 6 to 10 youngsters. These turtles will be a great treat. I will play with the recipe a few times and then do a dozen just for the young kids at the party. Thanks CRC

20. Seacowboys

I want to try those turtles. I am having a difficult time convincing Bug that they might be fun to serve for dinner.

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi
  8. Bishop