Recipe RECIPES

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ghrit, Mar 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Food should be fun....:)

It's just a bacon cheeseburger with the added hot dogs...and the added fun that cracks me up...:lol:

I think if I ever make it to your house, we'll have those, AND the octodogs.....[batteye]

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

What a fun recipe, CRC! :cool:

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Thanks for the turtle idea CRC. Next time we have company they are getting turtles without them knowing it, can't wait to see their faces.

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I really need to try some of these recipes...... :5s:

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Old Black Joe Cake

2 c. flour
    2 c. sugar
    3/4 c. cocoa
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    1 c. strong coffee
    1 c. milk

Mix all dry ingredients. Then add egg, oil, coffee, and milk. Mix well. Bake at 350 degrees until done about 25 to 30 minutes.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

How much cocoa?

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One Cup more than is in the Cupboard... Of course....

SoaySheep, chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A nice reply...and probably all too true.

The Old Black Joe Cake only shows the denominator, not the numerator and denominator fractions of the cocoa recipe's coacoa ingredient.

(had to dig deep into the dark and benighted recesses of my math knowledge, even to recall that much...how I wish I had the benefit from the interwebs to learn that which my teachers signally failed to beat into me)

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Sorry fixed... 3/4 cup...

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Phew!! 4 cups would have been a bit, um, dry --

11. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

How about Timber Rattler in a Dutch Oven. Taters, onions, peppers, carrots, a little water. Don't peek too often...

[​IMG]

Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

This is my Dad's Quick Pineapple Cake.

Ingredients:
    1 20 oz can of Crushed Pineapple in Own Juice
    1 Box Angel Food Cake Mix

Ideal Extras:
    Cool Whip
    Special Dark Chocolate Syrup

Preparation:
    Pretty straight forward. Turn the oven on to whatever the Cake mix indicates. Add the Cake Mix to either a large bowl, or the pan you are going to cook it in. Add the ENTIRE can of Crushed Pineapple, do not strain. Mix well (there should be a chemical reaction that causes the Cake Mix to foam).
    Cook until done. Serve hot.

Any body else smoke or "country cure" meats so that they can travel without refrigeration? Living History kind of makes this a necessity for us, but it is real hard to find recipes. Least it has been for me. Anybody have any recipes or thoughts on sausages and things like that the can travel?

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Jerky.
    One half small bottle liquid smoke.
    One regular bottle A-1
    One bottle soy (compatible to A-1)
    One bottle Worcestershire sauce. Mix in two gallon freezer baggie, and add 1/4" thick slices of meat. Marinate over night in fridge.
    Blot, then place slices in dehydrator. Remove when dry enough. (Note, the dryer the meat, the longer it will last)

14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I make jerky with a smoker. Usually use a rump roast, but any lean meat is in danger of getting jerked.

I usually cut mine into thin strips, no standard size, just whatever the meat allows. Hang them over the rack, and start a fire in the offset burn box. I usually build the fire with twigs and sticks, with some lump charcoal or charcoal left over from the last smoking. That keeps the fire going. I then shore up the fire with some fresh cut oak sapling logs, 6"-10" long. Usually chop a few down to kindling size to add randomly when the smoke isn't showing good.
    From there, just keep it under 100F to 120F if at all possible, and still smoking.

I have tried to "tipi" smoke them before on a rack, and tried sun drying, but I couldn't keep the flies out of it.

15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You can also get smoked and dried with a hanging rack near an open fire, and just down wind (light but steady breeze, is best)
    Your flies don't like the smoke and heat either.

16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Depression Era Crazy Cake (chocolate cake)
    [​IMG]

Crazy Cake
    1 hour 30 minutes to prepare serves 8-10
    Ingredients

Cake:
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/4 cups sugar
    • 1 1/4 cups water
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon coffee, optional
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    Frosting:
    • 2 1/2 -3 cups powdered sugar
    • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1/3 cup water
    • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 pinch salt, optional
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans with butter or non-stick spray.
    2. Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl, then whisk in water, oil, cider vinegar, coffee and vanilla extract.
    3. Stir until no lumps remain, then pour mixture evenly into greased cake pans.
    4. Place in oven and bake for 24-26 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
    5. While cake bakes, make frosting by whisking together powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt, if using, in a large bowl or mixer.
    6. Add water, softened butter and vanilla extract, and beat together until smooth and creamy. Add more sugar for a thicker frosting and more water for a thinner frosting.
    7. Remove cake from oven and let cool before frosting.

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I cannot tell you how often i have put together all the dry ingredients in bags i hot sealed, bought inexpensive baking pans, added the ingredient bags along with recipe and given these as Christmas gifts. I usually add homemade cocoa mix so they can have some hot chocolate with their cake.

Witch Doctor 01 and ghrit like this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bump. While searching out jerky recipes, found this OLD thread (with two posts newer than 2015.) Go to post 63 for the first mention of jerky that I saw. @tacmotusn To your question, chiefie, I don't have any original recipes. This (today) my first attempt, I just followed the directions on the envelop of Eastman Outdoors hickory flavoor.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Yard Dart likes this.
  19. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

Ground turkey yes, but turkey bacon is not acceptable. It is a scourge across three dimensions

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi
  8. Bishop