Reclaming Water on Boat

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by cabot, Mar 1, 2016.

1. cabot

cabot Monkey

Many people in France live on boats and apart from mooring cost the only other great expense is fresh water. The port authorities have a monopoly on this, thus charge a premium for it so the boat owners started looking and exploring options. A friend who is part of this boat owners community has tried and tested the alternative which bascially is pumping in and filtering river water to a very pure state.

Bacially they have a series of filters like below
    • 20" x 4.5 25 Micron sediment
    • 20" x 4.5" 10 Micron Sediment
    • 20" x 4.5" Carbon Block filter
    • 20" x 4.5" 1 Micron sediment
    • 6 gpd UV fitting
    This water is now used for everything from toilets to showering but filtered again with a reverse osmosis system for drinking and food prep. areas.

Just thinking that this option might also suit anyone else who has access to a water source.

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was reading the article below on turning salt water into drinking water. I have heard many times that it is so hard to make ocean water potable. I do not live near and ocean or a huge river but this is useful information to consider-

Please follow this link to read the three methods of distilling salt water. How To Turn Salt Water Into Drinking Water
    Are these truly the best methods, I do not know because I do not have an ocean close by to experiment with.

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Where was that post of the guy who used 2 liter bottles with a small portion of the bottom cut out to sun distill salt water... hmmm ... can't find it. It was a very clever low tech solution

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. cabot

cabot Monkey

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the U.S. subs use reverse osmosis to process salt water into fresh water.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If they do, it's something they have started since I was in service. RO takes power, the stills we used back then used waste heat.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And Nuke Subs have a lot of extra Waste Heat to use...

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, you might be surprised at how much of that "waste" is(/was) actually used and how comparatively economic to run they were(are) matched against the diesel boats.

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

1. Navyair
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid