recoil? 300 win mag vs 7mm rem mag?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by clemsonguy81, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Learn with irons. Starting with a scope on heavy kickers just introduces something else to cause a flinch. When you know you can control it, the scope becomes a non problem. I am convinced beyond doubt that one thing you do NOT want to do is learn on a 22 with a scope; just about guarantees a second eyebrow when you put a scoped big bore in someone's hands.

2. truant007

truant007 Monkey++

Hello everyone from new member,just lookingoverthe site and came across this question! WOW unless you live in Africa and expect an elephant stampede why even consider these, may be the 7mm, but I live in northern MI and find my .270 more than adequete, last year my friend took down a huge elk with his luckey lottery ticket. with the .270 he borrowed from me 95 yards, one shot died where it was hit!

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Many hunting shots here are 400 to 600 yds for game.

4. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome aboard,
    As for the 300wm, that is what I use for elk hunting because a 95 yard shot where I hunt would be unheard of unless you stumble upon a deaf, half blind elk with no sense of smell. Most of my shots have been in the 400 to 500 yard range. At that range, I wouldn't trust a .270 to have the terminal ballistics to take a elk down unless it was a perfect vital shot. I also use it to hunt deer and have never had one hit by a .300 to take more than a stumbling step, while I have had some run with some good shots from a .308 and .30-06. Something to be said about kinetic energy, .300, 180 gr. bullet has the same Ke at 1000 yards as a .44 mag 240gr at the muzzle. I've shot deer at 200 yards, literally fold in half from the wallup.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7