Recommendations for a too tight leather holster

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

No. This was way back when I was still living in the US.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

according to all the manufactures of said holsters... NO grease or OIL... owners often regret using such later...

holster often fail later... get too lose or even come apart... something about the grease or oil stayin IN the leather?

best advice I have received thus far... use a FREEZER bag... or very think mil plastic material...

NOT saran wrap... to thin and easily torn...

place firearm in freezer bag... insert let sit for up to a week... and keep working it from time to time...

sometimes maybe even double over the freezer bag...

this is what I have done with said products... over time.. works... and holster stays in as delivered condition...

and firearms fits just right not too lose not to tight... and a certain retention is still there...

claim is you will be way more please with the result over time and the holster will last a LOT longer... YMMV?

(YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD IT WAS FOR ME TO NOT MAKE A CERTAIN TYPE OF JOKE WITH THE ABOVE!!!)

AHHHH here ya go... instructions for the last leather holster I got... came with the holster...

step 1 open your brand new holster and make sure to safety check your firearm before starting the break-in process.

step 2 insert firearm into the plastic bag your holster came in. This adds padding and protection to the firearm.

step 3 with your firearm still in the plastic bag. simply run it and and out of the holster until the leather begins to soften and loosen up.

(AGAIN... GRITTING MY TEETH AND NOT MAKIN A JOKE HERE!!!! )

the things I sometimes have to go through... <sigh>

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Homer Simpson and Mountainman like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Horse hide for the backing and an industrial heat set plastic for the holster.
    Reason? Dirt and grim, the horse hide is thinner than cow and feels near perfect for a IWB from day one. Over time the "plastic" holster will wear any coating on any gun I have ever seen.
    Holster life? I have a leather Bianchi purchased the same time as my first carry single action revolver that still holds in there and has been washed more than once. I recently refurbished it with a Leather Coating that allows it to be wiped clean with a damp cloth.
    I have no doubt that holster will be passed on.
    I never use oil as it is too difficult to know when to stop applying where as Snow Seal or Mink Oil can be applied in very small quantities until it feels right.

Stitching? Never use cotton, in doubt ask Randall Knives why they went to rivets for Viet Nam Knives.
    Flat lacing nylon works well for hand sewn holsters.
    Kevlar sewing thread comes in many sizes and is my choice for hand sewn refurbished holsters.

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

It is cow leather.

Just to close the loop... It appears to have worked! I took the pistol out to sort of test it this morning and it is much, much better. The holster is still not 100% dry (about 98%) but definitely looser. I have stuck the saran wrapped pistol back in it and will check it Sunday night or Monday morning and have already purchased some mink oil to treat it. Thanks to all!

HK_User likes this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@OldDude49 "according to all the manufactures of said holsters... NO grease or OIL..."
    Thanks! I will check into it before I use it. I can use the mink oil on my boots so no great loss. :)

But, I can assure that plastic bag procedure will not work on this holster. Why? Because I tried it and spent literally hours working this holster trying to break it in. No, it will not work. All I did was tear the bags. Honestly, it was so tight that it was almost impossible to get it out.

HK_User likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Hogwash. I actually make leather items, I make sheaths, I make holsters --with my two hands. I know leather, how it functions, what will harm it, what won't. I've said this before, and I will say it again, many of these manufacturers place warnings on products much like the tobacco companies warn people about the possibility of birth defects and cancer. Although, unlike the tobacco industry, who are only doing it because they are forced to by government, they are still covering their asses, and there's no justification for it besides maintaining profits. In short, if it is GENUINE LEATHER, then using Fiebing's products to treat leather is absolutely fine. A chain company holster maker is not an expert craftsman, they are not leatherworkers, they just mass produce an item, a product.

If you don't believe me, get into leatherworking. Start making items with leather, treating them, using them. Don't just assume these companies that manufacture leather goods know what they are talking about (although it's more likely you are misinterpreting the meaning of "oil"). Often times, a warning is just a broad manner of covering their bases because some genius is going to dip his holster in 2-in-1 oil or Quaker State 14W40, then call and complain. And Hoppe's will dry out leather and make it crack over time, too. Just sayin'

HK_User likes this.
  7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

actually just use the freezer type bag and once in the holster let it sit for about a week...

was what I was told by one manufacturer and I found for my needs that worked best...

although I found I had to let it sit for nearer 2 weeks ....

but worked great and holster fits perfect... YMMV?

HK_User likes this.
  8. HK_User

Old and new. DSCF2843.JPG

9. HK_User

The reason I use the thin wrap is to better control the expansion. An extra wrap or two can be added if the first try is still too tight.

1. Yard Dart
  2. Motomom34
  3. OldDude49
  4. Witch Doctor 01
    [ATTACH] [IMG]
    Thread by: Witch Doctor 01, Apr 2, 2017, 17 replies, in forum: Firearms
  5. Altoidfishfins
  6. Bandit99
  7. MountainMariner
  8. chimo
  9. melbo
  10. monkeyman