Recommendations for AR type rifle/carbine

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

DD puts out a great product IMO.

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Maybe I really should take a crack at building one. I mean, it's winter and not so busy and just found out PWS is back ordered...

@AD1 Well, that definitely is an 'thinking out of the box' approach! :):):) Me thinks you shoot a lot, A WHOLE LOT! :):) Thanks AD1, it actually is a good ideal!

Rick

AD1 likes this.
  3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Well I did shoot a lot before the boating accident ;)

Been at it for a "while"..... A long while

Look at the post again, I added more goodies.

I have several lowers and uppers. The good thing about the "MILSPEC" AR is that the parts are interchangeable. You can swap an upper in less than 30 seconds.

And its easy to build. Did you watch the videos yet?

oldawg and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Bandit99

@AD1,

Yeah, that sucks to lose one's rifle like that...I guess it's in really deep water and can't be found? What did you have it in the boat for anyway? - Rick

5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Pirates.

oldawg, Witch Doctor 01 and Yard Dart like this.
  6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Duck, deer, pirate and zombie season. In AZ they all happen at. the same time.

It wasnt just one it was every rifle and pistol I owned! You never wat to be out gunned against those ducks.

Witch Doctor 01 and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Bandit99

Every rifle and pistol you own?!?!?!? Yeah, those must be some ducks...you might want to take up something a bit safer like Big Game Hunting. :):) Whew! Every one, huh? That hurt. OUCH! There might be a moral to this story..."Don't put all your guns into one boat?" :) - Rick

AD1 likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Naw... @AD1 is just a cluts, when it comes to navigating a skiff on water... It seems to run in members of our Monkey Tree.... Many have had such accidents....

oldawg and AD1 like this.
  9. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

^^^^^^^ What he said

BTPost likes this.
  10. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Rich R

Besides the state of confusion, what state do you live in and are pvt sales allowed?

Never mind history shows.

11. Bandit99

@AD1,
    I live in Northern Idaho and love it. I've been here about 1 year now and we adore the area, absolutely gorgeous and the people are nice...they keep to themselves but are friendly if spoken to. We don't have gangs and very little crime - mainly because most people are armed. There is no problem obtaining a CCW permit in this state and I got mine as soon as I was here long enough to be a resident. Sure, private sales are allowed. I think all the do is recommend you allow them to run the serial to see if the gun is stolen and they don't enforce that just recommend it, that's it as far as I know.

@BTPost ,
    "Many have had such accidents...."
    Hmmm...now why would they be bringing all their guns to the...boat. Wait. Is @AD1 starting a war with Mexico?

Rick

12. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

@BTPost ,
    "Many have had such accidents...."
    Hmmm...now why would they be bringing all their guns to the...boat. Wait. Is @AD1 starting a war with Mexico?

Rick[/QUOTE]

No the "D OH JAY" is doing that all on their own. Thats were Ellll Chappppo got his "fifty Calllll"

13. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Rich

Look into building 2 lowers, then pick up 2 of the 299 uppers. Then as funds allow, buy new uppers for specialized functions.

That way you can have 2 to start with, add maybe 10 magazine each, a few #,000 rounds of ammo and your set. Got enough to site in and practice. Pick up some FMJ, HP and green. Depending on the "twist" some different bullet weights which will be more accurate depending on the twist and weight.

Buy these Test rounds in small qtys to be sure of the accuracy. Then buy the 500 or 1000 rnd bulks packs.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  14. Bandit99

All, I received this from PWS after I got...upset...at having to dig out information from their website that should have been readily available for consumers. I mean, here I am truly to purchase something made in my home state...anyway, I was trying to understand the difference btw their MOD 1 and MOD 2 and was tired of having to dig for it.

"For easy starters the MK1 line is our AR15 platform with current MOD1 builds available in various calibers and length; we have a newly releasing MOD2 line which will eventually feature various length as calibers but these builds are not slated for shipping until early-mid summer as we begin building out this new model. The MOD1 runs a classic KeyMod rail with free floated barrel, a 4 point adjustable gas block, an ALG Defense QMS trigger group, and Magpul furniture. The major changes to the MOD2 platform are a proprietary PicMod rail with free floated barrel, a 3 point adjustable gas block, a ZEV collaborative trigger group designed for PWS, and Bravo Company furniture; additionally the MOD2 lower ships ambi complete rather than ambi capable now shipping on the MOD1."

All, is there anything there in the MOD 2 version worth waiting for? I am assuming 'ambi' means ambidextrous which really isn't important to me as I'm right-handed. And, I don't like anything proprietary anywhere...and most of the Magpul I have seen I have liked so... But, I doubt I will be able to get my hands on a MOD 1, maybe but doubtful, so I might have to go with a DD anyway if I don't build. So, comments? - Rick

AD1 likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Go DD, Fulton, or build your own. PWS is out of line, from both the price and information perspectives. After the time you've put in trying to figure out what and who they are, it's time to cut the cord.

Bandit99 and AD1 like this.
  16. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

RR
    ^^^^What he said!!!

Build your own, at least the lower and buy the 299 upper. You are way over thinking this. If you build your own, it will be built in Idaho ;).

Get in at a decent price, buy 1-2 K of ammo and go out and shoot.

In a few months you will develop a sence of what you want to do with it.

Its really easy to build the lower, .....did you watch the videos yet? Why not ?

You can add the upgraded triggers later to see how much of a difference ot makes. Buy or build an upgraded upper with free float rail system, then add fwd grips, lights etc.

For $2k you can 2 complete rifles(with BUIS), magazines and 1-2 K rnds of ammo.

Then add/upgrade as you go.

Dont be swayed buy the fancy stuff at first. Buy the entry level basic rifles, shoot and learn enough to make an informed decission.

Edit: I just looked at the PWS site amd the prices...WTF??? For your first long gun(s) get in at a good price. A $6-700 weapon will function well and fit your needs. It will allow you to have 2 plus extras(mags ammo etc) and get trigger time under you belt.

Of you build now, buy the end of the summer you will have a totally informed opinion on the subject of the basis rifle and be able to better judge what needs improvement.

As I said before, buying a new upper and high end G trigger can completly change the weapon.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    3M-TA3, Bandit99 and kellory like this.
  17. Bandit99

That is a darn good point! - Rick

18. Bandit99

@AD1,
    Okay you are making too much sense here :):)...and you're right. And, you're right about "it will be built in Idaho" LOL! No...I regret to say I have not watch those videos yet. I have no excuse except I got sidetracked trying to run everything down and will do so this evening. I promise. You're right why purchase a high-end as the first one, get something reasonable and we can figure out what we like and don't like and get a good one later. - Rick

3M-TA3 and AD1 like this.
  19. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

My first and one of my FAV AR was a DPMS Panther 16 inch no free float, just a plastic for grip. I paid $600 for it. I took off the carry hanlde and put on a ARMS 40L rear dual aperture rear sight. Shot this way for a few months.

Still ~$550 for this weapon.

DPMS Panther Arms Tactical Rifles : Cabela's

image.
    image.

After about 6 months and ~1000 rounds, I put a free float rail system, forward grip, Surefire weapon light with switch in the grip.

Then about a month longer I picked up a Aimpoint Comp M2(?) "zero mag" with 2 mil dot. The ARMS rear and standard front site perfectly line up with the red dot in the aimpoint. A quick looky through the optic and if the rear/front iron sites dont line up with the red dot, you have a problem. Either the optic or the iron sites have been knocked out of alignment.

I own several now and this is still my fav. Its obviously the upper one
    image.

I built several more after the Panther cuz I wanted to learn the system. I pick up 4 lowers and built different platforms including a DPMS SASS(Semi Auto Sniper System) 7.62. Started with a pvt sale lower and collected parts over the next 9 months and this is the result.

image.

This is one of the others I built with a 20 inch from RGUNs(link up a few posts)
    image.

Sadly these are all swimming with the fishes ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  20. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@RickR
    DPMS builds a fine AR. Another excellent AR for the $ is Palmetto State Armory; some of their ARs have FN hammer forged barrels. Ask if you call.

One caution about different ammunition is your POI or zero will move a bit when changing brands, weights etc.
    Educational Zone #8 - 5.56 Military Ammo Accuracy - The Box O' Truth

I've tried some and best I could do was an embarrassingly large group.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. stg58
  3. Matei
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. OldDude49
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Dont
  11. oil pan 4
  12. HK_User