Recommendations for AR type rifle/carbine

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@AD1,
    I have now looked at most the videos of Brownells (what a site!). I don't have enough data (our internet is data capped) to watch all of them but I get the gist. I'm ex-military so know a little bit about the AR. But, I don't know if I want to build because of numerous reasons, mostly time,...but maybe. Also called Cablela's today as they have a big sell and looked to see if they had a Colt LE6920s figuring if I could get two on sell...but they don't have any. The have something else called a 'Colt competition' on sell for $750, the salesman didn't even know the model. I never heard of them. There is a better vendor call Black Sheep (where I went before) that I might go look at 'basic rifles.' That salesman I get last time was not my normal guy and they do have some good people there that live and breathe this stuff.

@Tikka,
    I will check out the DPMS and Palmetto State Armory websites up now...OH! BTW I did read up on those lower assemblies made from the heavier 7075 (I think its called) stock.
    Rick

2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

It took me 1 hour to build my first lower watching the videos.

My second on took 20 minutes. Its easy really!

I prefer billet Alum lowers, forged are next and dont think I would ever use a poly lower.

You can order just about anything from Cabelas and have it ordered.

3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@RickR
    7075 is 0.102 lb/in³ as compared to 0.0975 lb/in³ or it weighs .0045 lb/in³ more. Not anything to be concerned about. Ultimate Tensile Strength of 83000 psi as compared to 45000 psi and its Tensile Yield Strength 73000 psi as compared to 40000 psi.
    As millions of ARs are machined from 6061 since the mid-1960s and are still running; the differences aren't important. That being said, it becomes a why bother or why not? ;)
    references:
    ASM Material Data Sheet
    ASM Material Data Sheet

Same as a lot of people, I've built ARs. Total up the cost of everything. Be sure not to compare apples to oranges as a Pac-Nor or Noveske barrel costs almost as much as some complete factory built ARs.
    They all do what is needed; however, we are back to <.5 MOA or >1 MOA. That is about the difference between shooting a groundhog in the ear or head with BR or reloaded ammo.
    Is it important, not really unless you're an accuracy addict. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

AD1 likes this.
  5. Bandit99

@AD1,
    Are you saying they are worth the $549? Hell, I never even HEARD of DPMS until Tikka mention them! Honestly, I am totally shocked how many new AR manufactures are in the states...it's like all these new NFL football teams (and why aren't the old teams in the cities where they're suppose to be). :):) There is such a thing as called 'Economy of Scale' where you truly can get a higher quality product, value, for less than say you could do it yourself so... So, is it worth it?

@Tikka,
    Reference 7075, I do not think a gun manufacture would do this unless it added value, and, of course, it was profitable. :) I don't know, it might be a gimmick. You would know better...

"I've built ARs. Total up the cost of everything. Be sure not to compare apples to oranges..." my problem is again the engineering/technical mindset...in that, if I was to build then I am sorely tempted to build to high quality stats. You can get a lot due to Economy of Scale in most manufacture goods. Someday, I would like to tinker, experiment and etc. but in a few years as I really got too much else to do.

Rick

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Crap. You're stalling. Off the dime, my friend, and do something, even if it's wrong. Just about nothing can't be either fixed or improved upon, and if you get a Ducati, both fixing and improving will be needed.

Garand69, oldawg, AD1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bandit99

LOL!!!!!! DUCATI!!!! You have no idea how that resonates!!! :):) Now, I said "within 2 weeks" and, in fact, I have researching like a madman and letting everything else go the past few days so...a few more days. I am juggling a lot of balls, not an excuse, but I am trying to make a half-way reasonable and wise decision and learning almost every damn minute I am on this forum. Honestly, not stalling. :):) - Rick

kellory and ghrit like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

DPMS is a quality OEM for the AR Platform... I have moved a Dozen of their FireArms in the last two years... Not ever had a comment of Bad Feedback from any of my customers... My AR10 is a Custom-Built from them...

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and AD1 like this.
  9. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

DPMS is a BIG national brand. They make quallity stuff. They sell so many they can afford to price them at a decent level. Remember I said my first and FAV AR was the DPMS Panther listed above.

Sure its worth it. To build a complete one from scratch will be more tham the $549.

Again with this rifle you can swap out the upper at a later date, even get a piston if you want. Add a different butstock, hand grip, rail, trigger group....

Its a starting point and can be upgraded as you move forward.

BTW
    Ever heard of Remington? BushMaster? PARA? Marlin? H&R? DPMS? They are all owned by the same group Freedom Group.
    Freedom Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2016
    Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

Here's the thing about an AR. There is no "one sized fits all" answer to what you are looking for. I've got a drawer full of furniture and parts downstairs that I tried and discarded after a while. I finally settled on one particular rail, stock and grip. Found a trigger I liked. Got the muzzle device that worked for me, so on and so forth. You very rarely get exactly what you want from the start and end up messing around with it over time.

The best option is to get a baseline model. Like a Colt 6920 or a Bravo Company mid length (I think the mids are the best iteration of the AR) and learn what you like and don't like. Then start putting rails on it, different grips, different stocks, etc. And you are an engineer, you love specs (all engineers do) so check the specs on the different brands mentioned here. Some brands tend to test everything they put in, others tend to batch test parts. Others QC sometimes wavers. Make sure they have a good return policy.

Personally, I like Bravo Company the best and I don't think you could go wrong picking up a base mid length model. I've had the best luck with their products and like the extra details they have. But I've also used parts in some of my builds from places like Palmetto State (after I check the specs) and other smaller dealers like ALG Defense.

3M-TA3, AD1 and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Bandit99

A dozen in the last few years?!?!?!?!? What in the world do you do with them all? And, you must have a safe the size of a Bank vault! - Rick

12. Bandit99

@AD1,
    "Sure its worth it. To build a complete one from scratch will be more than the $549."
    Okay, I will pick it up today or tomorrow. Unlike @BTPost I just don't have a bank vault for a gun safe and mine is almost max'd out. But, I will pick this up and start collecting ammo. The wife can have it when I buy something better and like you suggested, I can tinker with it in the future.

I have heard of some of them...Remington and Marlin for sure. But, I had no idea...

@Grand58742,
    Bravo Company!?!?!? Another one! There are more gun manufactures than ice cream flavors now in the states!
    I do know Colt, of course, and I called about a Colt LE6920 yesterday my Cabela's was out. I will get something today or this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2016
    Yard Dart and AD1 like this.
  13. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

Bravo Company, or BCM, is kind of the flavor of the month with a lot of the top shooters in the business. And they are top dog because they are that good. I tend to build my own ARs, but I wouldn't have any problems taking an off the shelf BCM and trusting my life or those I cared about with it.

You pay for what you get most of the time. And yes, there are dozens of AR manufacturers out there, some good, some not so good. But I tend to like the attention to detail BCM puts into their products and they back up their quality.

You need to decide on what gas length you want before anything else. Carbine gas lengths are perfectly fine in a brand like Colt. Mid length are perfectly fine in BCM or Daniel Defense. I prefer the mid length since it smooths out the already negligible recoil impulse to practically nothing.

I'd look around the internet as well for good deals. I posted the link to a shop called G&R Tactical on the first page that is an authorized dealer of BCM and I've dealt with them in the past. So long as you have a local FFL that can do the transfer, they will be fine.

3M-TA3, Bandit99 and AD1 like this.
  14. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

RR

BT dosent (for the most part) collect, he sells them.

BTPost likes this.
  15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

When you give it to your wife check out the Magpul furniture. Maybe you should just do this now ;)

image.

3M-TA3, Bandit99 and Garand69 like this.
  16. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

I have two Stag uppers that I put on lowers that I built from parts, and I also have three built from Del-ton kits with zero issues. I was as anti-AR as anyone could be being a M1/M14 kinda guy..... then it happened. Being an instructor, I had to get behind one to better help my students build their positions. My go to is now an Armalite AR10-T Carbine and the closet is full of scary black rifles that I built myself... It's like Barbie for men, you just can't stop accessorizing? :D

Stag Arms
    Del-Ton

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Yard Dart, Bandit99 and AD1 like this.
  17. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Garand

I totaly agree. Getitng an AR is not the end of it as it is with most other long guns. Sure you can add a different stock, trigger, barrel to a Rem700, but an AR plaftorm is like an erector set in that you can change out just about everything w/o a smith being involved.

Grand

I also have a book shelf full of spare/extra and "take off parts", lowers, lower parts kits, field repair kits, front & rear sites....for Ar's.

I have two Geissele Automatics SSA triggers i bought at Modern Day Marine for $100 that I Have yet to install in my DPMS AR15 & DPMS SASS.

I have enought parts to build 2 more except for uppers.

Garand69 likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have held an FFL for a three Decades, and sell them to locals who like to do business with me...

19. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

I love the SSA trigger myself. I put one on my Armalite AR-10T and never looked back.

3M-TA3 and AD1 like this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Regarding triggers I have experience with both the ALG ACT and the Geissele SSA-E. Standard combat triggers do the job, but IMO this is the first thing you should upgrade.

The ACT is a standard single stage combat trigger that as been polished and is nice and crisp. If your budget is in the $60 range this is the best bang for the buck. If you are configuring for QCB, then this is all you need.

The SSA-E is a very good two stage trigger set perfectly for combat nerves so is not quite as light as a match trigger. It better be a good trigger as it costs almost four times as much as the ACT. This is a great trigger for any AR configuration. If you can find the SSA for $100 as AD1 did then jump on it. I doubt many could tell the difference between the two.

Lots of other very good aftermarket triggers out there, but these are the two I have used. I think almost ANY popular aftermarket trigger would be a big improvement over a standard trigger.

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. stg58
  3. Matei
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. OldDude49
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Dont
  11. oil pan 4