Recommendations for AR type rifle/carbine

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

The company I consult for had a booth at Modern Day Marine Modern Day Marine

Our booth was right next to them Geissele in booth 3326. They offered them to Marines and show exhibitors for $100 cash. There were lines 3 deep for three days. I bought 5 of them. 3 for friends amd 2 for me.
    image.
    I also got to meet some one kind of famous.
    image.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

RR

When you do start shooting the AR SAVE THE BRASS. Even if you dont reload yet, SAVE IT. If your at the range(indoor or out) alway pick up what ever you can if you can get away with it.

Garand69 and ghrit like this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AD1
    I was a combat arms instructor for OCS. Same as the usual, I made the students police up the brass. I also had them separate the links from the 7,62N brass. I used to bring my father pounds of .45 and 7,62N brass until he said enough. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I use the Caldwell Picatinny brass catcher. Its convenient, holds a lot of brass and doesn't get in the way. Way cheaper in stores than on their web site. Also works on my AR10.
    AR Pic Rail Brass Catcher |
    [​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  5. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

I'd actually put the QMS in there as well. The NiB coating on the ACT makes it nice, but the QMS does just as well in that role for the budget minded.

I've got both and can't really tell a difference in the two. And tend to recommend the QMS just because of the slightly lower price.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Thats good to know. I suspected they would be pretty close, but had a good recommendation on the ACT when I bought mine.

7. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

They really smoothed over the QMS upon finishing and polishing. The NiB is nice for cleaning and corrosion resistance, but shooting wise, they are nearly the same.

Like all ACT and Geiselle products, attention to detail is first and foremost.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Okay. Mission Accomplished!
    I purchased an AR today, 5 magazines, and a 1000 rounds of ammo.

I bought a Colt LE6920 for $919. Frankly, I bought it because I liked the feel of it mostly...I had the money, it was the last one, it was a pretty good price - so screw it. I bought. Now, let the chips fall where they may because I know someone will say," WHAT? Why did you buy that POS?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?" :):)

I bought 5 mags because I was there and if something was to happen in near future with gun laws before I can buy more - well - at least I have 5 now.

Ammo was not a good deal and I probably should have waited, but it was there and so was I. It was 38 cents a round, $380. (What does it normal run on sale .34, .35 ?)

So, in hindsight, all the brow beating you guys did on me and all the questions I plagued you with was worth it because I was going to spend $1700 and I spent a total of $1400: got a pretty good entry-level AR, extra mags, and 1000 round - plus $300 extra bucks for Scotch!!!! Thanks so much! - Regards, Rick

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart, ghrit and 3 others like this.
  9. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

And so begins the great journey to start replacing things lol

Good for you and the Colt should serve you well. Now take it apart, clean it, oil it and get some shooting done!

3M-TA3 and AD1 like this.
  10. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

3M-TA3 likes this.
  11. Bandit99

@Grand58742
    Funny you say that..."start replacing thing." I didn't have the damn thing home and out of the box 30 minutes before I started talk about replacing the rear sight. Wife overheard, throws up her hands, mumbles something and walked out of the room! Hee-Hee!!!!! LOL!! :):)

Still don't know why I chose it over the others...might have been because it looked and felt much like my old military weapon, even has the forward assist on it.

Hey! One last thing, steel case ammo...it's a lot cheaper than the brass but how do AR like it? I wouldn't shoot steel or aluminum through my Glock but...dunno about AR

12. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Sucker!!!, kidding. Glad you got of the X and made the move.

The LE 6920 is exactly the same layout of the DPMS Panther I spoke about in previous comments. Great first platform.

What ammo did you get?

i dont like the plastic Magpul sites either

This is the rear site I have on all of mine that dont have dedicated optics

ARMS #40L-P Low Profile Precision Flip Up Rear Sight
    https://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=sights&id=[hsh]40L-SP

Here is the manual for that site. Read it to understand the site.
    https://www.armsmounts.com/manuals/40L OP Manual.pdf

13. Bandit99

I got 1000 rounds of 5.56 Federal 62 GR, FMJ BALL for $380...I am looking at a few other sites and maybe this wasn't such a bad deal plus I didn't have to pay shipping. Maybe I should buy another 1000?

I don't think the one my has Colt is plastic, it's say MBUS on it (is that a brand you know?), looks almost like that ARMS sight you sent me, folds down nicely. The book says it is suppose to have a long-range and short-range sight but no... But, it seems okay but it definitely a long-range sight (small peep) and I would prefer the small-range, what we use to call a Combat Sight, it's slightly bigger. But, it's okay, not a big deal...
    Rick

Yard Dart and AD1 like this.
  14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@RickR
    Steel case is usually Com Block so it's OK or AKA good for blasting ammo. Dumb question, as all ARs are the same, what was the difference?

@Grand58742
    Some of my favorite people. I also like ammoman and LAX also. Basically I buy by price + postage so whoever offers the same for less gets my CC#.

@RickR
    Buy M193 or M855. I've had good results from Privi Partisan. Try ammoseek.com and there us a difference between 55 gr BT FMJ and M193. Personally, I've found M193 to be a little more accurate than M855 in my ARs.

I buy flat tops and add a dot, scope or NV.

[​IMG]
    These are pretty sweet as they work day or night. I haven't had enough range time with it to rate it yet. However, initially, sweet..

@Grand58742 and @3M-TA3
    Hyperfire makes a sweet trigger also. At least as nice as the Giselle's.

15. Bandit99

@Tikka , I honestly don't know. The more I think about the more I think because it was a Colt as was my old military weapon, weight, balance? Dunno.

Yes, the steel casing stuff I was looking at was Ukraine...I would think they need all the ammo they could get and was surprise to see them producing 5.56 stuff at this time. But, ceasefire suppose to go into effect next week. - Rick

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Your Optics will usually cost you at least 80% of the FireAtms cost and sometimes as much as 150%....

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Unless Colt has some kind of differences, steel case will run fine, tho' maybe not as accurately as, say, Federal. One other thing, the barrel twist rate will make a difference. Wolf 55 grain HP runs fine at 9:1 and sometimes 8:1, but never in 7:1. Every rifle has its likes and dislikes and you will just have to shoot to find out. By runs fine, I mean it doesn't give problems after a few breakin rounds, like maybe 200. After breakin, you can start experimenting with different weight projos and see what it likes.

FWIW, I've had no problems with Wolf in ARs, no matter whose they were before the boat sank. Nail driver, it ain't.

AD1 likes this.
  18. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Rick

Take a photo oft he rear site post it here. The Colt website said it was a Magpul rear site.

If you looked at the manual on the ARMS site, it has dual apertures that flip down. One for long range and one for CQB.

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

And so the addiction gains fuel to the fire.... welcome to the club!!!!

Enjoy..... much still to do but you are well on your way..... and remember fondly, that this was your first..... ;)

AD1 likes this.
  20. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I have a feeling we wont be on his[sarc2][sarc1][grlft]ohno Christmas list.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. stg58
  3. Matei
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. OldDude49
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Dont
  11. oil pan 4
  12. HK_User