Recommendations for AR type rifle/carbine

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Okay...here is the rear sight... It's not really important. The sight say MBUS on it and has what looks like some radiation symbol for an company icon. The box the rifle came in says '2013 configuration' so that might be why it's different...

DSC05884.JPG

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Thats a Magpul. He is a pic of the package I just took of one of my "spares ". The ARMS is by far a better rear site IMO.
    image.

This is a close up of the ARMS dual App.
    image.

image.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    3M-TA3 and Bandit99 like this.
  3. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

I've never had any trouble running any 55 grain through my ARs and they are all 1/7. The only stuff I didn't have good luck with was some Tula in my brand new Daniel Defense, but after it got broken it, ran just fine. As you say, for accuracy, the steel isn't the greatest, but for range ammo, it worked just fine.

4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Rick

I found a great pic that you can make a Valentines Day card from for your wife.

Caption :Honey I promise not to get carried away and will maintain control and not buy a second safe

image.

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Bandit99

@AD1, Yep! That is what I got and...Yep! That AIMS is exactly what I want. Thanks much!

But, reference your 'See Money Can Buy Happiness'...are you trying to get me divorced!?!?!?!? :):) - Rick

AD1 likes this.
  6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

@RickR

Also on your list if your of a mind is a Magpul single point sligh attachment mount and sling
    image.

image.

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That radiation symbol is actually the original magpul. They work variations of it into all their products like the stippling on their grips. Their products are very good and reliable, but IMO their plastic sights should only be used as backups for an optic. Personally I wouldn't put a plastic sight on a rifle my life depended on, but that's just me. The sights AD1 look far better to me, but I have used neither. BTW - congrats on your purchase!
    upload_2016-2-13_12-5-21.

AD1 likes this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I always thought they would be kind of noisy - what is your take?

9. Bandit99

@AD1 Now, that is something I need! Yes, I need a sling also...I will put this on my list. I was thinking of going down and trying to get a sling today...

@3M-TA3 Thanks for passing on the knowledge! This is what is great around here! A huge wealth of experience! - Rick

AD1 likes this.
  10. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

It does make some noise no doubt, but not a lot. I like the control and the way the weapon lays if I have to transition to the pistol and then go back to long gun. I am sure there are ways to dampen that but have not tried to yet.

If I am shooitng my Long Range rigs like the 20 inch barrel AR, then I use a 2 point sling so I can "wrap up" and snuggle to steady the rifle.

I just picked up another mount and sling that I will put on my DPMS Panther shortly. I,have it on my DPMS SASS 308/762 too.

Edit: now,that I went and played with it, it makes no more noise than standard sling swivels.

image.

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

@RickR

Dvor has the single point sling but only in black or olvie for $21.
    Condor Adder Single Point Bungee Sling[]=2240-0-1074570

But for this you will need the signal point mount with that sling.

I alway check $$$ DVOR against Amazon. The price on Amazon for a tan one is $26

3M-TA3 and Bandit99 like this.
  12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Good blasting ammo means the same as "Nail driver, it ain't."

12-15 years ago Wolf lacquered their ammo. Due to the smaller size extractor for a smaller case rim; it was problematic for ARs (5,56) and AK-74s (5,45) . As the AK-47's extractor is larger, it worked fine. I used a dentist's pick to get it out from under the 5,45's extractor.
    Wolf Ammunition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, I haven't bought Wolf in years. In 5,56, I buy M193 or M855 and reload the empties.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Wolf is now polymer coated, nothing remains of the lacquer problems. Read the label to be sure you aren't getting old stock, but I haven't seen it in years.

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As I said earlier, I haven't bought Wolf in years. As brass is more malleable than steel; it expands to fit the chamber better.
    My favorite Russian ammo is Ulyanovsk 8M3 "Effect" as it is wicked; however, it is 7.62x39.

Educational Zone #18 - Shooting Wolf steel-cased Ammo in an AR15 - The Box O' Truth
    This is interesting; I've had good results with SA 7,62N; never tried SA 5,56.

15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Well????? Did you shoot it yet?????? Inquiring minds what to know!

And did the wifey shoot it?

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Bandit99 and AD1 like this.
  17. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Tikka

Deer or Dear?

Bandit99 and Tikka like this.
  18. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AD1
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Deer as @RickR has a yard filled with them same as us.

Bandit99 and AD1 like this.
  19. Bandit99

Nah...not yet but probably this week. The range in the park 5 minutes from us doesn't open until March (I think it is March, need to check) as closed for winter so I would either have to find someplace to shoot or go to the indoor range. I can shoot it on my own property here but need to fix up a place to do so, that's something I would like to do in future.

Yeah...we get up to 15 deer at a time having a party out back but I would be afraid the wife would use the rifle on me if I pop them. :):) had a few young bucks, spikes, coming around but think someone got them or they got hit by a car as haven't see them...
    Rick

kellory and AD1 like this.
  20. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@RickR
    We shoot here at the house. The deer run when we do; however they come back for the corn in 10-20 minutes. Actually they run as soon as we go out side. Between the deer in the back and the birds at the feeders in the front; we draw quite a crowd. We enjoy watching them.

Here all the law requires is a berm. Unfortunately, without cutting down a lot of trees, I'm limited to 25-30 meters. However, it is good enough to put a scope on paper and great for pistols. There are a couple of ranges close so it isn't a big deal.

kellory, AD1 and Bandit99 like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. stg58
  3. Matei
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. OldDude49
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Dont
  11. oil pan 4