Recommendations for AR type rifle/carbine

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Tikka
    Here the law is 'shoots safely' now I know this sound vague and it sure as hell is but I know this for a fact as called and spoke to Sherriff office and sure enough anyone here can shoot on their property as long as zoned rural. I made an ass of myself as when I first got here the kid next door starts banging away with a .41 magnum. I freaked grabbed a gun and ran next door to see what was going on. His parents weren't and I don't think he was suppose to shoot it but he told be me it was perfectly legal. I called the Sheriff next morning and sure enough. He laughed and said he gets these calls all the time but as long as he been working there 10+ there never had been a problem of a house getting hit or etc. So...so I hope to make a small pistol range. I'm thinking some railroad ties for a three sided wall and double layer of sandbags, something simple, cover it with metal roofing... Rick

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@RickR
    We shoot and one of the neighbors has a ~100 yard range. They have a huge garden and the berm is at the back of it. Another neighbor is a magistrate; so it is all legal.
    Our garden is parallel to the house so it doesn't work the same for us. Plus calibers with magnum behind the numbers are rather silly at 100 meters.

As bullets may bounce off the railroad ties; dirt works best.

3. Bandit99

@Tikka Oh yes! I wouldn't shoot into railroad ties! I would use them to form the exterior wall then insides it would be lined with sandbags piled against them or simply dirt but thought sandbags would be better...still sort of design it in my head.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Frame2. rame. Here at my AoO, we shoot right out front, of the Cabin, across the Inlet, and have a Gong @ 998 Yds, on the other side.... We have a Target Frame set up at 100 Yds, from the Shooting Table....

3M-TA3, VisuTrac, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  5. Bandit99

@AD1
    Do you remember where you purchased that "Magpul single point sling attachment mount" ? Was it the same place you purchased your "Condor Adder Single Point Bungee Sling" at DVOR?

Rick

6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

7. Bandit99

8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

yep

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@RickR
    Buy the rifle first as some have hand guards that come set up to attach accessories.

"Package includes rail, installation bolts, barrel nut, sling swivel inserts, Magpul 5 slot & 9 Slot Rail Sections, and removable bipod insert."

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The brick and mortar stores around here carry them as well. Dont know what's in your area, but you might want to look or call around.

11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

It looks like everyone has the same $29.99 price.
    He has it, but it has standard plastic m4 fwd hand guard . No free float rail.

12. Bandit99

@Tikka The Colt LE6920 has swivels, front and rear for attachment of a 2-point sling but you need another attachment for a single point. I will probably just get a normal sling (2-point) for now as don't have the time to mess with it...

"Package includes rail, installation bolts, barrel nut, sling swivel inserts, Magpul 5 slot & 9 Slot Rail Sections, and removable bipod insert."
    I am not sure where you are quoting this from...

13. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

This what your goal should be

image.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  14. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Thanks I didn't know he had it.

16. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

He ended up with a Colt LE6920s

17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AD1
    A very nice rifle.

Personally, i prefer glasses; so I'm more of a flat top type with a flip up Magpul Mbus as a back up.

AD1 likes this.
  18. secondrecon

secondrecon Monkey+++

Dude you need a tractor trailer to hual that piece [sarc1][sarc2]

AD1 likes this.
  19. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Carry handle come off too on that model.

20. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

[sarc2]

1. 3M-TA3
  2. stg58
  3. Matei
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. OldDude49
  9. Oddcaliber