Recommendations for off grid home security

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Hillbilly549, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

What do you ladies and gentlemen use for affordable security set ups? We had Hughes Net installed for satellite broadband Wi-Fi (needed it for wife's work) so I'd like to be able to monitor remotely....at least one camera. Just any recommendations you might have...thank you.

We're getting some trash lurking about...and I'm ready to take it out.

duane likes this.
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Since you have internet, and presumably WIFI, how about a remote rifle?
    Yes I'm joking. That would get you into a lot of trouble.

Only thing I could suggest is more than one camera, maybe cover 360 if you have more than one access. I'd get good quality ones with the higher resolutions. If you see someone making off with your stuff, you don't want their face to be just a blur or pixelated useless images. You want good, solid evidence that you can take to law enforcement.

Placement is going to be dependent on the layout of your property. I'm certainly no security expert, far from it.
    This is just off the top of my head, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm just about in the same position with my remote property, as well as my not-so-remote property, where I've had a hydraulic floor jack and a pressure washer (albeit a cheap one) stolen right out from under my carport. Others in the neighborhood have had problems as well. One close neighbor had a utility trailer stolen.

So anyway, I'll be checking back to see if others have ideas.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Gator 45/70, Hillbilly549 and duane like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]
    I like dogs. No Wifi or power required. Always on duty. They'll make it more fun to monitor the cameras if anybody tries to get in.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We had a series of POE Wired WebCams around are place. but we had 24/7/365 Power available to keep the network up and running... For those in Off-Grid situations, Solar & Wind Power, would seem tp be the answer, to keeping the HughsNet and WebCams operating. I went with POE to eliminate outsiders from Scanning the WiFi Bands for Such things as WebCams, and such.. (POE= Power over Ethernet) Also Doggies are a safe bet....

5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

A dog and a shotgun! Doesn't have to be a big dog just have a big bark! I had a dachshund! The shotgun needs to be a 12 GA! I always liked a Remington!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

Never understood the advantage of "wireless" cameras. You still have to run power to them anyway, (unless each camera is also powered by its own solar panel and battery - what a pain!) so why not run ethernet or coax? (depending on which type of system).

Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  7. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

I have the dogs and guns but we need to get a fence around our cabin and shed to make that work. The dogs stay on the porch so a person could rob us blind in the yard and if they were smart enough just bust out the back window and avoid the dogs. Fence is a must with these German Shorthairs or they'll be up on the mountain while the thief is about, lol

8. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

Yep, apparently they use a boat load of data too so that's out. I'm looking at hard wired options now.

9. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

Which ones did you use?

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah, if you're remote and don't have access to unlimited data then a internet security camera is really not the best solution. A game camera would at least let you get a photo of the offender but would be hit or miss if it would be good enough for the police to identify the individual. I guess the only other thing is wire the place to set off a very loud audio alarm, might scared them off. It's tough if the residence is remote

And, if your home, some of those driveway (heat sensor) alarms (I got Guardline, works great!) and a shotgun would fix you up. The problem is deer and sometimes even turkeys will set them off also but at least you know something is around.

And, if you want the best all-around security - a dog. It will take some training and maintenance to keep him/her fed, groomed and clean up the poop but you also get a life-long friend out if it and if trained right a super security system. And, they're on guard 24/7 when you're home or not.

11. Altoidfishfins

Had an 870 years ago. It, and a Hi-Standard Dura-Matic .22 with two interchangeable barrels are a couple of those that fall into the "I wish I hadn't gotten rid of them" category.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I used a regular Pan, Tilt, & Zoom Wired Camera, and built my own POE System by separating out the Green & Brown Pairs on both ends of the Ethernet Cable to use as the Power Conductors. I used the Green Pair as DC Positive & the Brown Pair as the DC Negative… Then on the Camera End, I had a little Encapsulated Dc to Dc Converter that has a 10-32 Vdc Input and a Regulated 12Vdc Output at 2 Amps which is enough to run the the Camera.. I then put a 24Vdc 2 Amp Power Supply on the Green & Brown Pairs on the Switch End of the Ethernet Cable which was about 300 feet long… Worked just fine for 10 years, with no issues… You could also just buy a POE Camera Off the Shelf these days and a POE Switch, off the shelf as well… That technology was in it’s infancy back when I first built my first system… Now Days it is all off the shelf…

13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Well Done @BTPost
    Did similar setup years ago
    S

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Dogs and or hostile foul.

Hillbilly549 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7