Recurve bows?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Lancer, Mar 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Any inputs on brands/models for re-curve bows for hunting, etc.
    Thinking of re-curve for the take down capability, although open to other flavors.
    Essentially a newbie to archery if playing around 40 years in the past doesn't count.

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

PSE bows a good for the money, and is the Samic. You can find more expensive stuff, doesn't make them tougher or shoot faster. Get a Flemish Twist string, the "endless loop" most use can fall apart and break your bow (experienced that joy!).

I've got to where I use a flatbow or longbow instead of a recurve because they are tougher and you don't sacrifice much in terms of speed.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Not all recurves are takedowns.
    I had a Bear 45lb takedown years ago. Nice bow, but I never got serious into archery.
    Later I got a Korean-made laminated recurve. Looked nice, but it began delaminating.

4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[winkthumb] [winkthumb] @Lancer :) :)

traditional recurve bows have all the disadvantages and none of the advantages of high-tech modern bows and crossbows.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Pay no heed to sec! Lol
    Build one your self, or get a kit! Cabelas sells kits in store and on line, and most good archery shops will have kits, building supplies, or resources for kits and supplies! I have a buddy who makes them by hand, and they are some of the most amazing bows I have ever seen! He also does english long bows and has helped me more then once with a bow project! Careful, its addicting!

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Speaking of which, an English Long Bow is going to have the horse power your looking for, usually more then a recurve!

Gator 45/70, HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

a real English longbow has a draw weight of 100–185 lbs. ;) ;)

Gator 45/70, HK_User and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yup, yup! My ultimate double limb Viking long Bow will slam an arrow through a 1/4 piece of steel plate, Draw weight is 133 pounds, And took me most of a year to get my arms and shoulders up to spec to be able to draw it! It likes a heavy arrow of 60 inches length with slow twist turkey feather fletchning!

Lancer, Gator 45/70, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Sage recurve is my main bow take down three sets of limbs you can get into one from 75$ on up get one you can draw and hold just got a 48 super mag in 40#

10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7