Redneck Gopher Getter

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Mountainman, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Well, when I first woke up,my first instinct was to go underground, like a gopher.
    But then I realized once you do that your trapped like a roach in a hotel, except as an absolute last resort, like a fallout bunker. There are advantages to earth-berm house which still give you a very well insulated dwelling like cob, but basically that's it.:)

2. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Not quite as much fun as tannerite but moar betterer than Quad RV exhaust. [tongue]

Mountainman likes this.
  3. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Gopher season is back on as of Friday. Gassed one hole Friday and another Saturday. To much rain today or I'd be out there again. Going to start looking around for something a little more portable for this. The main problem is attaching and sealing a pipe to the exhaust.

Note to @Gopherman : Your safe as long as you stay out of Oregon, but if you start supplying [gasmask] to your buddies then we have a problem.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Mountainman
    By your Tannerite post, you'll enjoy Rodenator rodenator ;)

I'm a bit too frugal for that. What do is poke a finger sized hole into their tunnel and pour gas in; then cover it. Breathing gas fumes:
    "The chemicals, especially BTEX that are found in gasoline can cause numerous health problems. Burning of the nose and throat are common complaints from being exposed to fuel fumes. This usually dissipates within a few minutes of breathing fresh air. Headaches and dizziness are often a direct result from inhaling the dangerous vapors even in small amounts. Nausea, vomiting, respiratory distress and mental confusion can occur after being exposed for more than a few minutes. Inhaling the fumes can also lead to incoordination and eventually loss of consciousness. In cases of extremely high vapor levels, death can occur unless the person is brought away from the area and allowed to breathe clean air or given oxygen."

Works right well; however, Rodenator looks to be a lot more fun. :D:D

Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  5. Mountainman

@Tikka - To bad the Rodenator is not cheaper, I would have way to much fun with it in the fields. Probably not a good idea for the front yard unless I want a very pissed off wife. [beat]

Motomom34, kellory and Ganado like this.
  6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Mountainman
    Same here, I thought it was the slickest thing since sliced bread until I saw the price.

According to the video it costs $100 and I doubt it.

However, it still leaves momma unhappy and when momma isn't happy no one is happy.

Yard Dart, Ganado and Mountainman like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Portable back pack version of a oxy-acetylene torch, a section of hose attached to the nozzle, and a Piezo igniter from a grill, with a long wire back to the torch head from the hose end. Should do nicely.;) (and the torch has many other uses).
    As for the exhaust hose, it should not be hard to add a quick release friction clamp to the hose. The use either thumb screws, or lever lock clamps.

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

My neighbor uses propane. He basically takes a tank with a hose, shove hose in the hole, seals it with dirt and turns it on. He leaves it for about 15 minutes than lights it. Boom. He wanted to try it at my place last year when I first got here because the damn gophers were driving me crazy and I couldn't find anything that worked. I told him I didn't think that was a good idea since of few of them were close to the septic tank and the drain fields... LOL! :)

Since then, I have become a gopher's nightmare as I've gotten really good with traps and so far have a 100% kill rate.
    My 5 acres are clean - well - was clean as with Spring I just got two new Gophers one of which I got yesterday and should have the other by tomorrow morning.

9. Mountainman

Are you using the Macabee style traps or something else?

Funny, right after getting out of high school I used to work at the Macabee Gopher Trap Company. Little did I know that all these years later I would be the Redneck Gopher Killer. [gun]

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Gopher's drive me off the deep end and
    No, I use a Black Box as the springs are much, much stronger, instant kill. I think they're just a better system...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBMFDO/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Dunerunner and Mountainman like this.
  11. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I tried gas bombs at my previous location, but I could never get them to work: there was always an escape hole that I didn't find until the gas came out. Suggestions?

William Warren

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Smoky flare stuffed in as far as possible, plug the holes where the smoke comes out. Thinking boating type flare.

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I used to snipe them in several acres of lawn with an 1863 Springfield. Load it as light as possible, aim low, and just slide that big Minne Ball along the grass in front of them. That's how I found out gophers could fly. Once anyway.
    [​IMG]

14. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

that’s just a little overkill but a lot of fun. I have a Springfield 45-70 also,a lot of fun.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Ok, Sorry man . But I HAD to steal the pic for a screen saver...….lol

16. There is a more portable and easer solution. But great care must be used. 1 can crystal draino, 1 jug bleach, something to cover hole with FAST. Pour 1/4 of crystal draino in hole, Hold your breath, pour 1/4 cup bleach in hole, Cover fast, back away from hole and start breathing again. The 2 produce chlorine gas when mixed. Breathing it can kill you. WILL kill gopher.....

Mountainman likes this.
  17. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Is it heavier than air? Will it descend into the depths of their hole?

Those questions got me thinking about other heavier than air vapors, but most are flammable, expensive, or both.

18. Mountainman

My first thought was what will it do to the grass in a lawn. Would like to try it but if it leaves dead spots the wife might try it on me, lol. Have you tried this under a lawn?

19. I have, and admittedly it does sometimes turn the grass a little browner. But not always. Depth of hole plays a part in that I think. The spots do grow back though. Though how I always handled and feed my lawn likely helped with that.

Mountainman likes this.
  20. Not enough to count. It mixes easy with air. And is very dangerous to breath in. On the plus side it breaks down pretty fast in nature and is biodegradable. Think about what happens when you open and use that bleach in a small bath. the smell can get bad fast. when mixed the 2 will make a heavier but more concentrated form of gas. Never do indoors ever I sniped this from one of my files:
    " The toxic effects of sodium and calcium hypochlorite are primarily due to the corrosive properties of the hypochlorite
    moiety. Systemic toxicity is rare, but metabolic acidosis may occur after ingestion."
    < nut shell common sense translation:> Don't breath it, drink it, or eat it.....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. thewildyam
  6. Ura-Ki
  7. Seacowboys
  8. DKR
  9. Powder_burns
  10. Bishop
  11. chelloveck