Redot scope

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by munchy, Mar 26, 2013.

1. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

With turky season lessw than a month away I have been considering a redot for my mossberg, it's allready drilled for the mounts. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with any of these on the market today. None of the people I hunt with use one, but I also have regular rifle sights on my shotty and love them, so a redot might be worth a shot. Thanks

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Make sure your dot can be dialed up bright enough to see in broad daylight. Not all can.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have used reddot optical sights on both shotguns and crossbows. I like 'em just fine. As Ghrit says make sure it dials high for bright daylight. Tasco made mine, and I have had no problems with them, however, make sure you have extra batteries on hand, in case you need to swap them out.

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I really like this one and have it currently on my 12 gauge Mossberg with the pictney rail mount.
    I will be hunting turkey's next month with it- hope it does well. Works fine on the range.

BSA - Rifle Scopes - Illuminated Sights - PMRS

5. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

I have a 1x and have had it on a shotgun and a lever action, but never hunted with it. Always just used the front bead. My red dot has been sitting on a shelf for a couple years, but I still hang on to it just in case.

6. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

My buddy put a truglo holo sight on his mossy 935. works like a champ. we even shot some trap with it with no problems. cost 45 bucks on amazon. The picatinny rail to mount it was another 10.

use quality....we originally used an NC star sight and the recoil killed it in about 6 shots.

kellory and Brokor like this.
  7. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

Thanks folks I'm picking up the truglo for it this week and hopefully I'll do ok. Seems like it'll do allright in the low light conditions I usually shoot in, be patterning it next week, not looking forward to the box of mags for that!

8. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

If you want to spend a bit more and have a gunfight ready optic that can double as a hunting optic, try the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic.

It runs $400 with ACET technology for like 2 years of battery life and is NV compatible.... just got one for an LMT I traded into.

9. Zombie Hunter

Zombie Hunter Monkey

Unless you want to purchase an expensive red dot (Aimpoint, Eo Tech, and Trijicon) I would stick with the iron sights. In my experience the cheaper red dot sights (Truglo, Tasco, and Millet) aren't as robust and lose their zero when dealing with the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun. The one cheaper red dot sight I would suggest if you still want to try it out is the Bushnell TSR-1. I own one and it is a great little red dot sight. Haven't used it on my shotgun but for its price I have been very impressed.

10. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I thought about putting a red dot on my Mossy 12-gauge, but that was more to make it easier for me to target the 2-legged turkeys that just kicked in my front door, in the middle of the night! ;)

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. Mortblanc

Mortblanc Monkey

Red dots are like scopes, there is a price break at about $50 where you might get something worth having and the real nice ones cost really big money.

I have had an NcStar on my .45 for two years of competition shooting and it has held up well. I also have a red dot on my 30-30 and I would not hesitate to place on one my 12 ga, for low light conditions.

I also have a red dot on the .22 I use to guard the chicken house and have become a strong proponent of combining a scope with a red dot mounted sidesaddle.

My only real tip is to replace the battery BEFORE each use. I have found that a full day of forgetting to turn the unit off will drain the battery of my units. Leaving the unit turned on for a full day of hunting would do the same.

Nothing like facing down a chicken killing raccoon at 3 am, using a red dot with a dead battery!

12. BLKFJDC

BLKFJDC Monkey

I have an AIMPOINT PRO ($425) on my 5.56 AR and a TruGlo ($80) on my 10/22. Both work great in bright day light. Biggest difference which has been pointed out is battery. The AIMPOINT battery easily lasts me 72hrs on high. The TruGlo last 8-12hrs plinking. Irons or scope for everything else.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7