Reformed Squirrel

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VikingRaider, Dec 31, 2013.

1. VikingRaider

VikingRaider Praetorian

Howdy everyone!

I guess it's customary to give a little info about yourself so here goes...Count me as another newb joining from behind the Cheddar Curtain in Wisconsin. I was a longtime member of another forum and was brought out of my shell so to speak by the fiction section they had. I looked into the whole preparedness thing just in time to be hit by 4 hurricanes in Florida in one summer (the crazy 2004 season) and I have never looked back. As a way to express my lessons learned and ideas for the future, I began writing Alea Jacta Est and after many years of posting chapters and interacting with readers, finally had a whole story ready.

Then, and I mean, literally hours after I said to myself "I'm done! I gotta go tell the guys..." that section of the site was just gone. I understood that the site was the personal property of one man and it was his decision to do what he did, but I didn't like it. I really didn't like the fact that no one seemed to be talking about it or upset about it. Whenever I tried to find out what happened, the response was something like a hushed warning to not mention it and forget it ever existed. That atmosphere sent warning bells off in my head.

After they unceremoniously terminated the fiction section I just hung up my hat on the whole thing and walked away. I had noticed a growing elitist-like snobbery and trend towards everything firearms for a while but had shrugged it off. While I appreciate and love guns as much as the next red-blooded American, if I wanted talk about them all the time I'd have joined a gun forum. Losing the fiction section was the last straw.

So I took a break.

A few years later, here I am, stumbling across this great site and loving what I'm seeing! It's like I've stepped back in time to the beginning of my journey in preparedness, when I first joined at the other site and everything was a learning adventure. Everything was new to me and exciting to read and learn and discuss. I can't wait to get back that feeling and dive in!!

Anyway, after that long ramble, I just wanted to try and express how excited I am to have found this place!

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Welcome Viking glad to have you. Many of us here, including most of the staff, are refugees from other boards. We have all had negative experiences at those "other" sites and so we strive very hard to provide a comfortable and hospitable home here. Hope you like it.

kellory and VikingRaider like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey Tree @VikingRaider..... Pick yourself out a branch and have a good look around.... Lots of great folks here-bouts and plenty of Good Info, as well as a very nice Fiction Forum... Please feel free to add to the collection if you like....

VikingRaider likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Oh no! not another Writer, I'm having trouble finding enough hours to sleep now, without another Writer to keep me up at all hours.;)

VikingRaider and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  5. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Welcome @VikingRaider .. Hope you find it more pleasant here.. They have not run me off as of yet, so all must be well..

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome !!! Is there another thing as another board or forum ? They must suck egg's compared to Da Monkey.

VikingRaider likes this.
  8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to the tree grab a branch and hold on...

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Well VikingRaider, I am confused. That's nothing new, as I am easily confused. You mention Wisconsin and Florida in the same introduction. So being the confused olde fart I am I gotta ask, are you down here in paradise like I am, or are you freezing in frigid Wisconsin? I am near Gainesville, Fla.
    BTW, I got banned for life at FS. Total BS, I asked a question of the powers that be there. That was problematic for them and without any warning or an answer, I was gone ..... lol. As it all turned out it was one of the better days of my life. I found monkey, and never looked back.

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Welcome Aboard.

11. VikingRaider

VikingRaider Praetorian

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I already feel more at home than I did after years at FS. This place is great!

tacmotusn: I'm in Wisconsin. My wife and I have made a loop around the eastern half of the country so far. Met in Delaware, married in Florida, lived in Texas, now in Wisconsin. LOL I have multiple options when someone asks me "where y'all from?". Well...okay so that was mostly asked in Texas.

tacmotusn likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7