Refrigerators for off grid

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Kingfish, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

So far none of the local Propane companies will sell me a large tank. I am forced to buy smaller 100 pound cylinders and keep them full. There is a filling station just down the road about 20 miles from me. But getting a 500 to 1000 gallon tank so far is not happening. I still have a few places to call. Kingfish

2. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Kingfish I found 2 used 50 gallon porp tanks at the dealer they were turned back in and cost me a dollar a gollon or 50 bucks each. Thye can recert for you and these can still be put in a trailer wtih the lift on your 3 point or a bucket and taken to town to fill. Avoids the deleviery charge.

3. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Kingfish. I have over the years while building someone else's house noticed 1,000 gal tanks being buried in the ground. They are designed for just that purpose, and I suppose they are fine. Above ground tanks are usually rented as they have to be tested from time to time. Check instead on a direct burial tank and see what you come up with. Out of site, out of mind Nadja

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My license is still active, and while I could legally do the design (all disciplines, foundation to roof) I won't. The liability is more than I'm willing to undertake for anyone other than myself (for obvious reasons.) That all said, it is not impossible to do, but the hoops are too far off the ground for this olde phart to contemplate leaping thru, even if it was for my own purposes. Sourcing the tank and getting a supplier to fill it is another task I'd not want.

Full marks to your brother for the guts to take all that on, regardless of jurisdiction. Not a trivial task.

5. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

If the local propane companies won't sell you a tank, buy your own. Maybe you can even go direct to Worthington, although I suspect they'll have you buy through a dealer and then drop ship to you. Whichever, you will own the tank, and can then choose propane dealers based on price.

6. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

How heavy are the 50 gallon and 100 gallon units? Can they be set up with quick connect/disconnect attachments?

7. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I had to call several dealers before I found one that would sell me a 500gal for underground. Later, I found 2 more 500 gallon above ground tanks on Craig's list that I bought. Now I have all 3 plumbed in and that gives us enough propane storage to run several years or more. All we use it for is cooking ( cook top ), gas grill on the deck and water heater. Have a small, ventless heater on a sun porch, but don't use it much unless the weather is going to dip really low and hurt her plants she brings in for the winter.

8. Maxflax

Exactly what we will be using propane for. In addition we will also have a propane clothes dryer, although with our setup we will only use it once in a while, preferring line drying

Are the underground tanks just buried directly or do they need a housing/surround? And do your propane delivery folks have any problems with your setup? Seems many do

9. Nadja

TnAndy. You could and should at least consider going to a tankless water heater. They will save you a ton of money on propane, as they only burn when you need it. They are instant and the people I know that have already made the switch have totally convinced me to do the same come spring. Not even a pilot light. There is a swivel switch in the water connection, that when you turn on the hot water faucet moves the switch and lights the burner. Super system.

hank2222 likes this.
  10. Nadja

MaxFlax, the ones I have seen buried , are buried directly as they have a small short "tunnel" that comes up to ground surface to service. As for weight, propane is not really a gas, it is actually a liquid, hense LP Gas. Stands for Liquid Protrolium Gas. Therefore, baring mercury or some such thing it would weigh aprox. 8 lbs per gallon. In other words, a 500 gal tank full would weigh 4,000 lbs plus the weight of the tank. Little more then I can handle.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Underground propane tanks have sacrificial anodes welded on the external and usually are Tar coated, or coated with a special treatment. It is usual to plumb in a Filler Line and Vent Line for filling, the supply line to the structure, and a set of emergency shut off valves on each of these lines, before the backfill is out in place. It depends on where you live, who the Regulating Authority in your area is, and what they want done.

12. Maxflax

That's heavy. At that rate a 50 gallon tank would be + - 400 lbs. Sounds like the kitty is several large fixed position tanks.. now to find out what is practical, above or below ground, and what will pass muster for propane delivery

13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Most cylinders sold here that are transportable are sold in lbs... therefore a 100lb cylindr only holds around 12.5 gallons and the 20 lb cylinders sold for the grill hold 2.5 gallons...

14. stilagrrl

stilagrrl Monkey+

Has anyone considered using something like an Engel 84Qt fridge/freezer for off-grid? While probably not big enough for an entire family, if it's just a couple of people, it should be more than enough. I know Engel now makes some dorm size front load models, but given the energy efficiency of top loaders, I think they would be preferable. You could have two of them (one as a freezer and one as a fridge) on slide out cabinets. Granted, they're not cheap, but they're super reliable and only draw 3.6a @ 12v when they're running. I'm kind of kicking myself because I bought an EdgeStar 84Qt fridge/freezer and use it as freezer. It stays quite cold (0c), but it draws closer to 6a @ 12v and I'm guessing it's not as reliable as an Engel. It was less than half the price of an Engel, but now that I've had it for a while, I realize, I was "dollar foolish".

hank2222 likes this.
  15. stilagrrl

stilagrrl Monkey+

I think you need to double those numbers. 100# propane tanks hold 23.6 gallons). I think the formula is something like 4.23 pounds per gallon. So, a 20# tank holds about 4.7 gallons.

16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I was told the exact same number, 23.6 Gallons. Im looking at two 50 gallon tanks for 400 bucks new. Trying to find a bigger tank used but so far no dice. Kingfish

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Underground propane tanks. I just got a lesson, you guys, didn't think they were common or practical.

Underground Propane Tanks

18. stilagrrl

stilagrrl Monkey+

I found two 100# tanks on Craigslist for $150. One was practically brand new and the other was full. I've seen 283 gallon tanks on Craigslist (I think you can only get 250 gallons in them), but I don't really have the space for that large of a tank right now.

19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I just searched Craigs list for Michigan and nothing came up. Just 100 pound cylinders. Im probably going be stuck buying a couple of new 50 Gallon tanks or a bunch of 100 pound cylinders. Either way its not going to be cheap to get a good sized reserve of propane. Im off to m live classifieds next. Kingfish

20. thebastidge

thebastidge Monkey+

I just bought two 25 gallon tanks for $100 total on Craig's list. I have a couple 5 gallon tanks for my grill already. I don't have the retreat location created yet, but the plans is for dual-fuel diesel and methane/propane generator, all possible appliances on propane/methane etc.

I don't see the utility in trying to bury tanks, but I don't think it's hard to bunker them up. I envision a concrete pad, big enough for generator and tanks with concrete cinderblock wall forming a bay around each tank and the genny.

Another wall crosses the top of those bays, with enough space to work and refill the tanks and service the generator. Earth berm around the outside walls. Sunroof over the whole thing to keep direct sunlight off the tanks, and keep the rain off for corrosion control.

No direct path to the tank means no danger from stray bullets. Any explosions are channeled straight up (pieces of the roof falling don't worry me as much as high speed shrapnel.

hank2222 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7