Refurbished and/or repurposed tool

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Jun 6, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Now, I would not have thought to use the bark at all. I would have chipped all I could off, then pulled out my smallest block plane (fits in the palm of my hand) and started smoothing all those knots. It would be a lot earlier on my hand than your method, but would not have saved the inner bark.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

The bark was so wet that your plane would have looked like a quad razor full of shaving creme and face hair.

3. kellory

Block planes pass all shavings through. There would be no issue. I've worked wet wood before.

4. HK_User

Whatever

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, there's a world of difference between solid wood and fibrous stuff.

HK_User likes this.
  6. HK_User

Yup and this was not my first Cow Stick from this type of tree. I done made all the mistakes I want and now I just wait a few months to buff down the knots, anyway I can start carrying a smooth dry Cow Stick today.

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  7. kellory

You misunderstand me, sir. I do not offer a better method. I said my method would not have gained you all the parts you saved. I would have missed something I could have used.

Ganado likes this.
  8. kellory

IMG_20150607_205457253.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I had an old draw knife laying around, picked it up years ago at an event of some kind, maybe a pumpkin sale or flea market -I can't remember. There are old tools everywhere in Amish land to be had. If I remember correctly, I paid only a couple dollars for it, and grabbed an old hand crank coffee grinder that same day.

DSC00046.JPG
    Plenty of rust, but the pitting isn't too deep.
    DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    I treat with oil and wipe it down, then soak in oil and start sanding with wet/dry. I switch to steel wool after a while and keep adding oil.

DSC00051.JPG

Finally, I wipe it all down with Naptha and a clean rag. I went ahead and placed a couple coats of black primer on the blade, and only had to lightly strop the edge.
    DSC00053.JPG
    It will be great just sitting on a wall, or can still be used in the outdoors for many years to come.

SB21, Hanzo, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  10. HK_User

Still under water but at least visible is the Dual Purpose Tractor Boom.

Not to worry this is an out side storage area and never has the water come so high. The equipment you see and Fence roll are resting on pallets, not in the mud. Dual Purposed Tractor Boom..JPG

I'll remove the Tractor Post Hole Digger Boom from the area, and indicate the add on later as the water recedes.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Hanzo likes this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That's a lot of water, @HK_User. Any fish come swimming through for you to eat?

12. HK_User

Yep, from Crappie to Big Catfish of more than one variety and a Bass or two, turtles, snapping turtles and the occasional snake that the cattle did not step on.

Ganado, Bear and Hanzo like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Nice!

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

After we dropped off the big monkey for her mall date with a buddy, Mrs. Hanzo and little monkey decided that they needed shopping stuff. So an hour, hour and a half later we left the mall. Mrs. Hanzo said, "Oh, fast shopping today." WTF, er, WTH?

Anyway, when we got home, it really hit us. There were alerts sent out earlier to stay hydrated as it was gonna get hot this weekend. Reports said that with the tail end of the tropical storm system, it would be very muggy and will get to around 100. After we stepped out of the car, I would say the reports were right. NUTS! It was hot.

So right after we got in, I had to strip down to swim trunks and went out back. I cleaned up Mrs. Hanzo's planting tub so the little monkey could sit in a tub of cold water. Had to improvise since we didn't have enough time to jump in the ocean or a pool.

Surprisingly, I fit my fat ass in there too. And maybe more surprisingly, was able to get out easily.

While she was in there, it started to drizzle and then rain. So outside the house is cool, while inside is still quite muggy. While it was raining, I think monkey created a new tai chi move. Wet monkeys peers through rain...

And when Mrs. Hanzo came out, monkey says, "Bring be a nectarine. And cut it up." And as Mrs. Hanzo goes inside, monkey whispers, "Room service." Then of course, I have to yell, "Me too, please."

Room service delivered.

Now that the big monkey is home, I am sitting outside on the patio, in the breeze and shade. Right at the edge is awesome because the mist from the rain is blowing in.

Big monkey asked for grilled steak for dinner tonight. I thought about not making it since it is raining pretty good now. But I think grilling in the rain will be preferable to cooking in the hot muggy kitchen. Was hoping to smoke some sausages so @Bear can try if we are able to meet for our regular Monday lunch tomorrow.

Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  15. kellory

We are under flash flood warnings right now, feel free to take all of our rain you can carry. ;)
    I spent several hours painting the house trim this afternoon:( hope it had time enough to dry before the sky broke open. Otherwise, I may have a rather ...um....unique paint job.

Hanzo likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just saw this. Hope you are safe and dry. How does the paint job look?

17. kellory

Apparently, it had just enough time to skin over. No weird paint job.:)

Yard Dart, Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Did you have time to tie up the RowBoat, to the front Porch Railing, yet, there Kell?

Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  19. kellory

Naw, got it ready on the trailer, with quick release buckles.;) (rear strap IS made from seat belts, after all...)

Ganado likes this.
  20. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]
    192SHARES
    192 Share Tweet Email
    1. Get a pair of inner tubes from a tire store. Haggle the shop guys down to $5 each, and get them pumped up, too.
    2. You’ll need five four-to-six-foot cam straps to rig your tubes, as shown.
    3. The camp chair should be within arm’s reach of the cooler.
    4. Cam straps go through the beer cooler’s handles and under the chair.
    5. Use a mesh drag bag to keep beers within reach and river cool.

Hanzo, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  1. Bishop
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. hot diggity
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. hot diggity
  8. thewildyam
  9. Ura-Ki
  10. Seacowboys
  11. DKR