ReInstalled DualBand Radio & New Antenna today....

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Jul 12, 2020.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AlaskaChick deinstalled the Kenwood TM-D710A radio when she decided to remodel the Brown Cabin Kitchen... So I asked her where she wanted it reinstalled, and then proceeded to gather all the required pieces, parts, and needed tools to complete the project... The old Antenna was only a Vhf Marine fiberglass cheapo, and I bought this new Dualbander Antenna from Amazon, with the intention of replacing it last fall... Well today was the day, I finally got everything ready to do the job.. Somewhere in the remodel, she misplaced the Power Cord, so I had to build a new one long enough to reach the 12Vdc System.. I put up the shelf and mounted the T/R Box underneath, I got the Control head mounted on top, I ran the Power cable thru and 8” insulated wall, over the top of Entrance Door, and thru another 8 “ wall, to the 12Vdc System... That all was done before lunch.. So after lunch, the Grandkid &I got the ladder and he went up and unstrapped the pipe bracket that held the 2.5”, 40 ft pipe that the old antenna was mounted on, and. we got the old Antenna off it, and ready to install the new dualbander... The new antenna is considerably heavier than the old one, and it took ALL three of us, plus the Kubota SbS’s winch to get the 40’ pipe & Antenna back up in it’s mounts.. Coax is about 60’ of Beldon 9913, with PL239s on both ends... We only dropped the antenna twice, before we went and got the Kubota SbS and used the winch to get it upright and in the mounts... The only thing left to do is add the two external Speakers, to the installation... That will happen either tomorrow or Monday... Pictures at 11, and more pictures tomorrow, or Monday..
    20901C2F-40ED-4FBA-8EE7-D523C21480B8.

The pipe in dark green, and on the front right corner of the Brown Cabin....

01710378-28A4-41DC-B3B1-EE1650DC6D80.

This picture shows the new White Antenna, better than the other one....
    More Pictures later...

2. Southbound

Southbound Monkey++

Very nice! Glad to hear you had help. I wish I could put up an antenna that size in the HOA. Wish I could deal with the cold temps and have the land you have.......73's

sec_monkey and jodirumph like this.
  3. jodirumph

jodirumph Monkey

It looks amazing. Does this mean better cell service? Not that any of your kids want to call or anything :). And southbound your right about HOA's they can be a pain.

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. BTPost

Nope, it means that the Brown Cabin has Comms with Jeremy (your brother) on Uhf Frequencies, when he is down at the Cannery... He has Mom’s Handheld Dual Band Radio...

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  5. BTPost

Pictures of the Brown Cabin Radio install, and the 12Vdc System for that cabin...

MPPT 12Vdc Charge Controller w/Bluetooth Commlink...
    I will move the Blue LED Voltage & +/- Current Monitor thru that wall into the kitchen, once
    we get it finished...
    EA341A1E-AADC-46BD-BEE6-15C36554E770.

Comm Shelf with Kenwood TM-D710A and dual speakers, one for each of the two receivers...

FF623F81-1EB6-4B99-A7CD-E01B3AF50CFF.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7