Reloading 12ga Buckshot.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by griffin1340, Mar 3, 2008.

1. griffin1340

griffin1340 Monkey+++

Greetings, my question is...
    What type of wad do I use to reload #4 buck?
    Are there any up-to-date reloading tables for buckshot?

I doubt that I can use my MEC 650 to reload the entire sequence but are there any 'tricks' in the process? I figured on the shotdrop stage I'd just handfill the shell.

I bought #25 of #4 twenty + years ago and have never used it. I figure with the cost of lead going up it is better used than tossed out.

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

number 4 is pretty handy shot. I use a fiber cushion or cork wad and use a top wad before crimping. My Mec loads 4 just fine, but I haven't shot any of out of one of the auto-loaders yet.

3. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

Yikes - whatever you do don't "throw it out" - load or sell it for sure.

4. griffin1340

griffin1340 Monkey+++

Well I did'nt exactly mean 'tossed out' rather than 'misplaced' like it had been for a lot of the last twenty years...all that time stashed in a Pringles can on a back shelf in the garage.[tongue]

I always wondered where that bag'o shot ended up...Guess my wife is right! I should clean the garage more often![lolol]

But seriously, would I be far off loading like I was putting a 1 1/8oz load of #7 1/2shot downrange for a heavy trap load? I've got once fired AA hulls and dustmaster [?] wads. Or would I be better off like Seacowboys said, using a fiber wad?

5. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

I have done very little relaoding of #4 shot. I used plastic wads and they seemed to work fine. But no reason that fiber wouldn't work too. I'd just see what the local supplier has on hand.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7