Reloading aluminum shell casings

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Dec 9, 2020.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Different alloy! Assuming you have access to high dollar metal forming equipment you can make your own cases. Also the slug usually goes through half a dozen or more intermediate stages. The crap’s not cheap but super cool.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I have a few 9mm carbide sizers.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. OP4 mentioned in post #12 decapping Berdan primed cases. The easiest way I've found is to secure a straight sided punch that closely fits the case mouth, fill the case with water (oil will work but it's messy and harder to clean out of case), I had a block of steel with a hole half inch on one side and quarter inch on the other to hold the cases, insert the punch into case mouth and give it a sharp rap with a small hammer (preferably not steel). I have also seen articles about modifying Berdan primed cases to use battery cup primers. Kinda moot point right now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I sized and primed a bunch of aluminum cases. The primers went in pretty loose on some of them.
    Probably use them as altor ammo. That way when primers falls out during extraction it's not going to cause any problems.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I shot off about 70 reloaded small primer aluminum 45acp cases doing load development, all ran good.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yeah i’ve reloaded them once through but wouldn’t do more than that. You fail them and the burn through can damage you and your weapon.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7