Reloading primers

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bishop, May 8, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

What do you think

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It works, but the formula for primers is simple and easy enough! Still........

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Bad idea.... Red Phosphorus and Potasium Chlorate do NOT really combust the same way that Lead Styphanate does, and is much less sensitive to the required mechanical energy, input by the Firing Pin Strike... Expect a whole lot of misfires, or learn to make Lead Styphanate, and reintroduce that into the USED, CLEANED, Primers... Even at that, it is NOT even close to a Good Idea...

Tully Mars, Brokor and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

At around $30 per thousand, primers are cheap enough to stockpile. And dangerous if you improvise on them. Stored properly, they keep for decades. I recently used some that my brother bought in 1982. He puts dates on most things he buys for preparedness. No misfires.

3cyl, Caveman Jim, chelloveck and 4 others like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If. You have to "reinvent the wheel" to continue using your firearms, then you might just want to get yourself a nice Black Powder Rifle, say .50 Cal, and a Stainless Steel Cap & Ball Revolver, like say a Ruger Old Army .44 Cal... You can make ALL your own Projectiles, from raw Lead, or Old Battery Lead Plates, if need be... Black Powder is very easy to make, and get to operate properly, where Smokeless Single, and Double Based Powders are NOT so easy to make... #11 Caps are easily made out of old Pop Cans, and just about ANY Energetic Material can be used to ignite fffg, or ffffg Black Powder... With appropriate Barrel lengths, 300 Yd shots are still doable, and 50 Yd shots from a .44 Cal Cap & Ball Pistol, is well within their capability....That is a whole lot simpler, and doable, than the alternative with Modern Technology...

chelloveck, Dont, Tully Mars and 5 others like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Great post! I have been collecting B.P. arms for a while, adding one every now and then as I find exactly what I am looking for! For those that don't all ready know, I specifically collect Colt Revolving Rifle Carbines from the 1955 patent! With these and the replicas in particular, a 500 meter shot on game is possible, and further on two legged predators with the right combo of components, and every single one I can make at my bench at home with low cost in raw materials, and the results are jaw dropping. I can make a 20 gallon jug of powder for about $200 bucks, and the #10/11 primers I can make for next to nothing. Lead I can find almost every where, and a good stock is pretty easy to get. Like BT says, why re invent the wheel, when you have so many options to work around this!
    -verkauft-revolvergewehr-colt-model-1855-sporting-rifle-gekurzte-full-stock-rifle-.

7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I think there's a corrosion risk, on top of potentially poor ignition, and secondary explosive effect from incomplete powder consumption.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I think it's pretty cool to be able to make it work not saying I going to load my personal protection gun with them but lf you have a gun and no ammo it possible to have a gun that will function until you get something better we all talk about what we have stocked piled but it can be taken away at any moment we all don't carry enough on our person to fight a bad fight part of the reasons I learn to be really good with the bow Slingshot atlatl spear knife blow guns sling stick Swiss arrow if your in your truck or car and get run off the road and pressured you not leaving the vehicle and fleaing on foot will you be able to take your bug out bag with you if your family with you what are you worried about the most getting them away or bug out bag .

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

if your stock piling matches in place of primers, I see a problem.
    Both are going to disappear during an event , so in the long run, stock pile primers .
    Time is a serious factor, and if your trying to manufacture whilst under fire , chances are ,your not going to survive.

3cyl, ghrit and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

One of those skills that might pull you through a bad situation but not really intended for normal day to day use.

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Bishop like this.
  11. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Do you put your hand in front of that cylinder when you are firing?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

YUP, sure do! Full disclosure, I also wear wool and leather grieves just like the Solders and frontiersmen did! The flash can burn, but the over pressure isn't as bad as people think it might be!

Oltymer likes this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There is a hand grip forend on it. That said, leather sleeves are advised ---

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I like bp also really not to many weapons I don't like. KIMG0427.

BTPost, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Bishop
  2. Bishop
    Thread

Air javelin

Just got this in and I am liking it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 18, 2021, 5 replies, in forum: Firearms
  3. Bishop
  4. Bishop
    Just got these in the mail today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jul 24, 2020, 0 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  5. Bishop
  6. Bishop
  7. Bishop
  8. Bishop
    Here's my pCP 22 caliber air gun. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 24, 2019, 4 replies, in forum: Firearms
  9. Bishop
    Thread

Red fish

Went out fishing in the air boat. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 21, 2019, 13 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  10. Bishop
  11. Bishop
    Thread

Swiss arrow

Hey made up a Swiss arrow set up. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 18, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  12. Bishop
  13. Bishop
    Thread

Fire piston

Made a little fire with my fire piston. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 17, 2019, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  14. Bishop
    Well I was out shooting my starship today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 16, 2019, 7 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  15. Bishop
  16. Bishop
    The 48 inch hobow [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Aug 14, 2019, 0 replies, in forum: Functional Gear & Equipment
  17. Bishop
  18. Bishop
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7