Relocating Off Grid to North Carolina near Wake County

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Wild Bill, May 31, 2015.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Monkey

Hi. This is my first post. My name is Bill. I live in the nerve center of capitalist oppression otherwise known as New York. I've been working hard at finding a way out and I'm finally ready to buy some property in North Carolina. I helped my brother and sister move to an apartment in raleigh last year so I want to be within driving distance ofthem but also as rural as possible.

I've been following a few properties on landwatch but it's hard to find information about structures and zoning and building codes.
    so I'm hoping someone can suggest the most lenient areas near wake county as far as structures go. I really want to build an earthship andsome earth bag ddwellings but I'll just build a cabin if that's my only legal option.
    Another reason i joined here was that I'm hoping to find some like minded individuals in the area with some knowledge and hopefully some experience in alternative dwellings or anything really.
    I am wondering if there are any little communities in these areas where some, all, or any of the residences are off the grid and eco friendly. It would be nice to have a neighbor or 2 doing something similar...over time as more come perhaps a self reliant town will emerge.

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Welcome Wild Bill.. You should find plenty of information here that will meet your needs.. Lot's of knowledgeble folks here..

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to the Monkey... Do you want to live in wake county or are you open to something 1-2 hours away?

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey Tree... We have a bunch of NC Monkeys... Some may chime in here, and give you some insight to that area....

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Welcome Wild Bill!

6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Monkey

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm open to any counties really. I'd like to be able todrive to rraleigh in under 2.5 hours...really I'd like to keep it under an hour but i know realistically that probably won't be possible. I'd rather have 4+ acres with some liberty that's 3 hours away then 1 acre with no liberties that's 15 minutes away

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Check out land in Duplin or Sampson counties... less than 1.5 hours from Raleigh land will be less expensive... limited county wide zoning regs, rural life styles... expect plenty of poultry farms, and hog farms in the area... good water table watch areas near rivers as there is potential for flooding... both have low populations

8. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome, from a NC Monkey!

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Monkey

Thanks guys. What are the zoning regulations in those counties? Would it be possible to build an earthship there? Is there a minimum structure size before zoning gets involved? Are there any counties withing say 3 hours of wake county which have no restrictions?

10. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Will be a fly in the ointment on this. Would never move anywhere close to there. The whole area is liberal, even some of the more conservatives. The farther you are from there the better, the less restrictions, the more friendly (normally).

11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Monkey

Ok i think i need more land and freedom then these areas are going to offer me in the $20,000 range. Gonna extend my search to northern south Carolina and 4 hours west of raleigh.

12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Have a look as near as Sanford, and out as far as Maxton, over in Scotland county. I agree that further from Raleigh is a plus, but soon enough you start bumping into other populated areas.

I've always wanted to make a series of map overlays and find areas within about four to six hours drive from home that would be
    nice places to have property. I'd really like to have some hills and rocks around. That distance would be the first arc on the map, then do overlays of the least populated counties, (Hint: None of them have vehicle emission inspections in NC) the highest and lowest unemployment rates, lowest home cost, and lowest income. I'd planned to visit the most promising areas and camp so I could get a feel for the place. Then life got in the way, and I never have gotten around to this. It'd be interesting to have an idea of where I might like to retire that's away from North Carolina's beautiful Crystal Coast.

I'll be following your search with much interest.

HD

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7