Reminder to Posting Members

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Dec 29, 2015.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Please remember the importance of citing the source of the information you post with a link back to the original data. None of us want to infringe on copyrighted source material but the wide disbursal of information on the internet leaves us all wondering at times what we are free to post and what requires citation. This is a topic that has been under discussion among the staff.

When using the copy/paste method of posting, always check for a copyright notice on the original site. If one exists, summarize the material and link to the original.. If no copyright is noted, as a courtesy to both the author and the reader, a link back to the original content is always appreciated. As a reader, I frequently want to delve deeper into a subject and a link can be helpful.

2. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Basically what I was told, so now you get the link with company info at the bottom.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Most forum sites use or abide by the Fair Use act which basically consists of:
    Your post must have the link where the articles came from and "snip" part of the article (approximately 500-800 words). It's legal to link and use "part" of the article...the only time there is any trouble is when entire articles are ripped and the website owner logs a DMCA complaint.

This is important that us as posters use this practice. I have been guilty also but we need to protect ourselves and the site.

Fair Use in Copyright (BitLaw)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    chelloveck likes this.
  4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Note that it is not mandatory to link to the article but is a courtesy.

ghrit likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Does this mean you can post any content, in whole, that is less 800 words in length?

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I looked at other web sites across the board and I saw many different formats. One site only allowed you post the link only and this was due to issues with infringement and DMCA complaints. I do not think the monkey has a word limit policy but from the link I posted:
    Use some and link.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Never in whole.
    The point of fair use it to allow quotation so the information can be used/cited when presenting argument for educational discourse.
    Why do you think teachers don't photocopy entire text books and rarely even whole pages?

Example:
    What Is Fair Use?
    "
    Most fair use analysis falls into two categories: (1) commentary and criticism, or (2) parody.

Commentary and Criticism
    If you are commenting upon or critiquing a copyrighted work — for instance, writing a book review — fair use principles allow you to reproduce some of the work to achieve your purposes. Some examples of commentary and criticism include:

• quoting a few lines from a Bob Dylan song in a music review
    • summarizing and quoting from a medical article on prostate cancer in a news report
    • copying a few paragraphs from a news article for use by a teacher or student in a lesson, or
    • copying a portion of a Sports Illustrated magazine article for use in a related court case
    "

Sorry BT....i forgot that they didn't have photocopiers or even ball point pens when you were in school.
    /me dips feather in ink:

[​IMG]

8. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

This is a great site and well worth reading. See the "SEATTLE GOES THROUGH GARBAGE..." in Tin Foil Hat Lounge.

Steal our Stuff!

Watchdog.org is delighted to share its content with your readers. Here’s how you can do that:

• Print publications may reprint our stories in their entirety with appropriate attribution — our reporter’s name and “From Watchdog.org.” For example, “By Melissa Smith | From Watchdog.org.”
    • Digital publications (even those that are digital platforms for related print publications) may print a reasonable portion of the story followed by a “read more” link to the full story on the Watchdog.org website. Same guidelines for attribution apply here — for example, “By Melissa Smith | From Watchdog.org.”
    Any questions? Please contact us at Editor [at] watchdog.org.

Join the Watchdog.org Mailing List
    Get news updates and breaking news alerts from Watchdog.org

chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Citations are greatly appreciated....it cuts down on time and effort in fact checking. It also helps to identify whose argument is being used...the person citing the supporting article, or the author of the article that's being cited.

10. leeflynn55

leeflynn55 Monkey

Good to know, thanks!

11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I'm but a child to BT, but we had mimeograph machines up until high school.

Rancher

Mindgrinder likes this.
  12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

...Stone tablets....

Mindgrinder and Yard Dart like this.
  13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well there was that Papyrus stage.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  14. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

/me Ruffles paperwork...
    /me gestures to the CoC that has been preached @me.
    Stay on topic u fossil farts!

Ganado likes this.
  15. RightHand

Lighten up MG. Its a new year, why not let a little light into your life

Ganado, chelloveck and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7